PDA

View Full Version : Do I need air holes to get the sap to flow?

Beth Parker
03-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Hi,

This is my first time tapping (doing it today) and I'm running short pieces of tubing from each tap to a 5-gallon bucket sitting on the ground (1 bucket per tree). I drilled 5/16" holes in the lids to insert the tubing. Do I also need to drill air holes in the lids in order for the sap to flow?

Beth

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
03-17-2014, 09:47 AM
Unless the holes you drilled to insert the tubing into the buckets precision precision air tight...i doubt you will need to do anymore. Good luck on your 1st season!!

Beth Parker
03-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Unless the holes you drilled to insert the tubing into the buckets precision precision air tight...i doubt you will need to do anymore. Good luck on your 1st season!!

OK, thank you! I am only doing 18 taps this year. I could do more if I had more money, but nope, I'm flat broke now! LOL

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
03-17-2014, 10:07 AM
:-) have fun with it...maybe sell a bottle or 2 to friends to recoup your expenses.

maple flats
03-17-2014, 10:10 AM
Flat broke is how most of us started, then we went in the hole to expand. This is a fun addictive hobby, welcome. Enjoy, and don't let me scare you away.

psparr
03-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Just click one or two of the tabs on the lid. Trying to open them buggers fully closed is a pain.

Beth Parker
03-17-2014, 11:18 AM
Thanks, everyone! :)

The dairy farmer
03-17-2014, 12:00 PM
its deffinettly expensive to start into ,

markct
03-17-2014, 04:59 PM
I remember years ago fretting over having to buy a 500 ft roll of tubing when I realy only was gona need about 100ft of it, nowdays it seems every year I buy about 10 rolls atleast as I expand! But on the flip side of it, back then my plans were simply to make enough syrup to have on my pancakes, wasn't even sure if I could make enough to last me the whole year! nowdays I supply many familys and a local restaurant so theres is some money coming in too, altho its still pretty much just a hobby that pays for itself

WESTMAPLES
03-17-2014, 06:00 PM
im with markct, I was thinking `what am I going to use a whole roll of 5/16 tubing`, now I can`t stop using them it up, and buying more . it does cost a bit to startup a decent sugaring outfit, but the payback is sweet.

BreezyHill
03-18-2014, 06:51 AM
You know you are in trouble when you are buying 5-10 rolls of main line when expanding; because that means another 3 rolls of 5/16 of rigid and a roll of semi for drops. But the return...in a normal season, is worth the pay out.

BP I would not add air hole as it could allow rain in. Watch the drop on a bucket and see if it backs up at all. If so then a tiny needle hole is all you will need.

Best Wishes!