PDA

View Full Version : Just how long would sap last (very cold) before you boil it?

JP Quality Maple Syrup
03-17-2014, 08:24 AM
Slow start as I see most of us are having. Sputters and spurts. Unloaded most of my frozen sap in the buckets and brought them in to thaw. Thought we would be done when we booked vacation for the end of March but doesn't appear there will be much I can do. I don't want to tap any more trees and waste the sap and time doing so. I have some I have collected from last week end in the cold cellar but want to wait for a bit to boil so I have more. So don't want to wait too long with it either.

GV2
03-17-2014, 09:53 AM
½ of my 15 gallons collected last week froze solid. It measure just below 2% off the trees and just over 4% out of the frozen buckets, so freezing ½ of the stock more than doubled the sugar. I think I read somewhere that if it is a solid freeze you can keep it as long as you like.

ren46
03-17-2014, 10:37 AM
I had sap that I started to collect on the 9th up until we gathered enough then boiled this pass Saturday(7 days cold storage). Kept it buried in a snow bank (had some ice) and it still looked nice and clear going into my preheater. I finished it off yesterday and made some medium amber that tasted ok. It definitely needs to be kept cool, chilled or frozen. How long would it last, is a good question. Unfortunately like everyone else is experiencing, this spring weather hasn't been cooperating much. Normally I boil after 2 or 3 days of collection.

Ren

Shirlsaw63
03-22-2014, 11:08 AM
We had a cold night in the 20's so I set all my syrup filled storage containers out there to at least get partially frozen and then stored them in some good thick Styrofoam coolers (think Omaha Steak!) It kept the ice in them until I was able to boil 2 days later. I can only boil on weekends so this works for me.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-22-2014, 04:08 PM
going on 4 days boiling tonight I need to see fire and smell maple

maplerookie
03-23-2014, 07:21 AM
I started collecting Tuesday got 43 gallons of sap or so through the week . boiled on Saturday. kept frozen plastic water/juice /Gatorade bottles 2/3 filled with water in the sap and had my storage container buried in snow. no problem. nice clear sap and 1 gallon of the sweetest maple syrup . just took me forever to boil down.. I have some tweaking to do. was using bricks as a way to elevate fire and let air in. worked great for a time till all the coals got in the gaps then I had a coal/ash nightmare. ran out of room so had to dig it all out and rekindle the fire..twice. gonna come up with a different plan for that. other than that Saturday was a good days run.