PDA

View Full Version : PAN'S

JET
12-30-2006, 09:20 AM
I'm having a hard time getting someone local to make ss pans of an odd size for me, is there any drawbacks to using galvenized pan's?. These I could make myself but not sure of taste issue's or longevity.
thank's
Jim

brookledge
12-30-2006, 09:36 AM
galvanized pans will have lead in it and further more the heat will burn off the galvenized coating leaving you with rusty pans that will rust out in a short time.
Also i believe but not sure that when the galv. coating burns off it would create bad syrup.
You might want to look for English tin that was used in pans for many years as it was some what resistant to rusting.
I remember when my old evaporator had galv. sheet metal on the side of the arch and the heat burned all the galv. coating off it causing it to rust.
Same thing with my smoke stack. The base stack would only last for 4-6 years before it disintegrated from the heat.
Maybe someone else has different results but I would definately stay away from galv. pans
Keith

PF
12-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Jet,
If you find somebody please post it here. I'm trying to find the same thing. Thank you.

Fred Henderson
12-30-2006, 10:51 AM
English tin can no longer be found in full sheets. It was just tin and it had a nickel coating that kept it from rusting. You could use stainless steel and solder it with stainless steel solder. Galv metal can create a poison gas when it gets hot enough to melt off its parent metal. I f you had a way to form and bend what you require you could then take it some place to be welded.

802maple
12-30-2006, 07:38 PM
What is your location maybe we could recommend someone closer than you think

325abn
12-30-2006, 08:31 PM
I bet this guy will build you a nice pan!!
:D
http://cgi.ebay.com/MAPLE-SYRUP-PAN-STAINLESS-STEEL-NEW_W0QQitemZ180056119641QQihZ008QQcategoryZ36346Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

ibby458
12-31-2006, 06:14 AM
I've used galvanized pans in the past, and they stayed in perfect condition. Remember - the pan will only get as hot as the syrup inside it. Burn one and you'll have some problems, but if you don't burn it, it'll work fine.

I really can't say if it contains lead in the coating, but we made our own syrup in one for years and never had any problems.

That being said, I think stainless is still the best way to go. In the proper thickness, it works and solders as easily as galvanised, and really doesn't cost all that much more.

HanginAround
12-31-2006, 08:21 AM
I don't think you should used galvanized. Not sure the specifics, but "they" don't even want people to use galvanized holding tanks or cans anymore or galvanized anything anywhere anymore, let alone boil in them. Must be getting zinc in the end product.

JET
12-31-2006, 09:53 AM
Hey guys, I really appreciate all the info & fast response's. As of now I'm waiting on a price from a sheet metal shop but I'm afraid it's going to be $$$ive! Last year I made a sap prewarmer out of gal & braised it-worked great but does'nt receive the high heat that a syrup pan would, there being the subject of this topic. Fred you mentioned SS soder, do you mean heli-arch welding? or is this a true soder. I'm 1/2 thinking of making my own.
thanks JET
cny

Fred Henderson
12-31-2006, 01:14 PM
There is solder out there that is SS and it flows just like regular solder does. I started use it about 35 years ago in the food industry repairing equipment.What I was using was also approved for the medical industry also. Bascom's has it and the flux or you could find it online.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
12-31-2006, 06:40 PM
I've been waiting to see the responses?/
When i first started sugaring as a kid i had my first pan made up out of galvanised by a tin shop- Cost me like $30 then and i almost craped my pants at the price 8O $30 was a lot of money for a kid then.
I used that pan on a barrel stove for like 8+ years and now you know why i'm pretty senile when it comes to maple. I'm not dead yet but maybe the future is not bright?
I wouldn't hesitate to do it all again if i was making the syrup for myself or relatives- For the general public you may want to go a different route.

802maple
12-31-2006, 09:27 PM
I understand, just keep the family insane. LOL

Fred Henderson
01-01-2007, 04:16 AM
Many years ago most flue pans were galv.

Russell Lampron
01-01-2007, 06:45 AM
When I was a teen I boiled in an old galvanized wash tub one year. Made one gallon of grade black syrup.

I always blamed it on smelling the steam from my fathers evaporator when I was a kid but maybe the chemicals from the wash tub is what got me hooked on this. :D

Russ

ibby458
01-01-2007, 07:10 AM
Stainless solders as easily as galvanised. I did find a liquid flux works better than the paste type. I used regular lead free solder from the hardware store. A big soldering iron works better than a torch, with less warping. Welding is best, of course, but not everyone has a TIG welder or the skill to use it on thin stuff.

I've bought a LOT of stainless off eBay, at pretty reasonable prices. Just be careful you don't get #4 brushed finish. It's a tad rough, would be hard to clean and I think it would sugar up pretty bad.

Maplehead
01-23-2007, 08:11 PM
I once emailed a representative of a galvanizing authority. I don't have the email anymore but what I remember was that they said if the galvanized "splatter" is large over the steel then it's not safe and may contain things like antimony. If the splatter or "nap" is small then it's safe.
I bought sheets at Home Depot and bent my own pans. I don't use them any more but I didn't notice any difference in the syrup.

I suggest searching the web for a galvanizing authoritative body and posting the question to them.

WF MASON
01-26-2007, 03:08 AM
I believe the galvanize coating leaches off a little bit after each boil. If your already a heavy drinker and your liver is mostly shot ayway and your not going to feed it to your family. I'd go with the galvanized , other wize I'd find something else.