PDA

View Full Version : Plugging Mid-Season?

SeanD
03-16-2014, 08:39 PM
One of the land owners whose property I tap just sold a part of his land. All of the trees I tap are on the main part of his property save one - a huge sugar that is 3+ feet across. It stands alone and has a beautiful crown. That tree not only gives me two taps but it's a side tension for a long run down to the barrel. It's just over the property line, though.

I got a call from the new land owner who wants to take that tree down this week.

She wants to put up a fence.

I went over tonight and pulled the taps and plugged the stubby into the pegs on the fittings. I found a couple of saplings that I can hook onto to keep the tension on that line and I hung the drop up in the branches so it is above the line.

My question is will the stubby/peg be a tight enough fitting to maintain the natural vacuum for the rest of this season or should I cut out the lateral and put a straight connector in where the T heading to that tree is? The lines come down at the end of the season, so I'll do the repair then if it is okay for now.

Sean

upsmapleman
03-16-2014, 08:50 PM
It will be tight enough but 2 things to think about. They may come apart say after a wind storm and run sap on the ground. Second sap will come down and fill drop line and spoil, affecting sap quality in the future. I would put a straight connector in to be safe.

SeanD
03-17-2014, 05:33 AM
All very good points. I'll do it sooner than later.

Thanks,
Sean