PDA

View Full Version : smokestack

hambone
12-30-2006, 06:54 AM
We have a 2x6 waterloo small and want to hook it up temporarily for one season. We need to build a sugarhouse next summer. For now we are going to set up in a small building. Can we put an elbow in the smokestack or is it necessary to have a straight pipe going right thru the roof ?

Fred Henderson
12-30-2006, 08:16 AM
You can use an ell but it might not draw enough draft. Draft is what you need and need a lot of to get the fire and heat into and thru the flues. If you think the you will have enough draft try it you can always remove the ell if you do not.

mountainvan
12-30-2006, 08:17 AM
I would recommend going through the roof. The stack can get very hot and start the wall on fire, I had that happen when I first started. Also you may not get a good enough draft for a good boil.

802maple
12-30-2006, 09:11 AM
Add something to protect your wall( ie insulation or a thimble and you should be fine) also a couple of lengths of stack and that should compensate for the loss of draft though going thru the roof would be the best idea your call

hambone
12-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Thanks gentlemen.

Fred Henderson
12-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Gentlemen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well I am not too sure about that but we always try to help.

maple flats
12-30-2006, 05:16 PM
If you find the need to go thru a wall be sure to protect it very well, remember that clearance standards are for a typical wood burning stove and an evaporator burns consistantly as hot as it can, you need better protection than wood stove guidelines. If you do go out then up I also suggest going 1-2" larger stack size to increase draft and no damper.

Dobrien
12-30-2006, 08:01 PM
I have a 2x4 raised flue and we are going to put a 45 degree elbow and go from a 8 in pipe to a 6 in pipe thru the roof because we have a piece of insulated pipe,how bad an idea is this? should we move the evaporator over? get bigger pipe to go thru roof? both or nothing?

Russell Lampron
12-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Dobrien,

You should keep the pipe the same diameter all of the way up and try to go straight up if you can.

Russ

Pete33Vt
12-31-2006, 07:05 AM
I would go with the biggest diameter I could and go straight through the roof. Even though you are going to build next year. Get the correct stack now and it will be done with. Your rig will boil alot better . As was stated the more draft the better.

Pete