PDA

View Full Version : Boiling in Aluninum Pots?

OCHTO
03-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Is there anything wrong with using an aluminum pot on a propane turkey cooker for boiling sap? In all my adult life I've never seen a warning not to boil anything in aluminum. Yet several people have told me I shouldn't. My wife makes soup and chili in an aluminum pot. Soda is in aluminum cans. Help please.

Run Forest Run!
03-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Hey OCHTO. How come you don't want to use the stainless steel pots that you've used in the past? What I noticed when I tried boiling sap in an aluminum pan was that there was a chemical reaction that turned the pan black. I immediately switched to stainless and everything stayed gleaming. I'm staying with SS. I feel better about that.

OCHTO
03-16-2014, 08:30 PM
Karen, My son has a brand new pot that I thought might transfer heat better. Did the black in your pan come off in the syrup? Thanks

cbhansen
03-16-2014, 08:34 PM
Some time ago, aluminum was linked to Alzheimer's due to the fact that elevated levels of aluminum was found in the brains of some patients. This link has been largely disproven, however, many are still concerned. My parents used a large aluminum pot for boiling saps for years. The saps was usually dark. Personally, I prefer stainless.

Run Forest Run!
03-16-2014, 08:37 PM
It is only my opinion, but there seemed to be a slightly metallic taste that I could detect in that first tiny batch. Nothing major, but I switched to SS after that.

maple flats
03-17-2014, 10:55 AM
Back in 03, my wife and I sampled some syrup a friend had finished in aluminum. We both could taste the metallic. We've only used SS ourselves, never a metallic taste.

TerryEspo
03-17-2014, 01:26 PM
I asked a bunch of old timers that used aluminum pots to boil, how their syrup turned out, they all said ...."They cant Remember" :lol:

LOL,,,just kidding.

I use SS and just feel better due to the controversy.

Good luck.

OCHTO
03-17-2014, 08:01 PM
Thanks everyone! I won't be using aluminum. Can't risk it, even if only a slight chance of an off flavor. Hope I remember!