PDA

View Full Version : vacuum regulator for oilless pump

sapman
03-16-2014, 07:22 PM
Is a regulator recommended on vacuum pumps? What I mean is, I wouldn't want to limit the vacuum, but when a system freezes and the pump is running, does it need to get air in from somewhere to keep it cool (depending on the pump, of course)? I've never even considered one on my Busch pump, which now has a transducer on it, slowing it down anyway. But I've got a Gast 2567 oilless running my little 140 tap bush. And I wonder where the air is coming from when it freezes, or should it have a regulator to allow a little air in when things are real tight (i.e. frozen)?

Tim

heus
03-16-2014, 07:48 PM
I absolutely need a regulator on my Gast 3040 oil less. Otherwise it would burn up deadheaded on a freeze up. I adjust mine so max vac is 24". I guess you could also tee in a valve and leave it slightly cracked but probably not very efficient to get the highest vac possible.

BreezyHill
03-18-2014, 07:17 AM
Oil less pumps must have air to cool.

No air no pump.

Great question, as I know a guy that ate a pump thinking a gast would do what a delaval does with oil feed.

Gasts do have a good cooling fin design and can go higher than most other pumps without oil cooling but I would not recommend a controller free system. Use a noncontact temp gauge to check the temp to get the most out of the system. Limit the housing temp to 180 and you should be fine. I have a delaval that runs 200 and no issues in the last 10 years. That is with oil cooling.

I found that a warmer pump at shut down does not have the internal rusting that a cooler running pump has from any moisture that gets to the pump.

Ben

sapman
03-18-2014, 06:11 PM
Ben that was a good idea for checking the temperature. I did check it and at 26 inches it's about 184 degrees, motor is at about 202. At 22 " it's only 164 on the pump. Not sure if those temps are high enough to hurt it or not.

BreezyHill
03-18-2014, 10:04 PM
No.
Temps are within exceptable range.

Run up around 200 is pushing the high limit.

You do not want to damage a seal and suck in unclean air or debris.

This is a pump killer.

Glad to help.