PDA

View Full Version : When should you drain your pans in cold temps?

Ridge777
03-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Just did my first boil with my new 2x6 Lapierre with 5" raised flues and am not sure if I should drain my pans. The next few days the temps are going to be mid 20's during the day to low teens at night. Sweetened the pans and ran out of sap. Still have 2 inches in front and back pan. Should I drain them or let them sit?

maple flats
03-16-2014, 07:20 PM
I have never drained my pans after getting them sweet. However I never started without enough to boil at least 3 full hours hard. If you boiled that long, you have enough sweet to protect the pans. They will get some slush on top but will not freeze solid. However, when that happens, I do start a small fire and let it burn out each day. I also don't leave 2" deep in my pans, since I learned how much evaporation occurs after the last fueling. I try to leave it so I am between 1" down to 1/2" in the pans.

Thompson's Tree Farm
03-16-2014, 07:21 PM
I expect 12 below tonight. Just went out and burned a jug box in my arch. You have enough depth that you could light a small fire with some kindling and warm the pans up a bit. In 60 plus years I never remember emptying pans and never had a problem.

Ridge777
03-16-2014, 07:49 PM
My pans are still cooling and the sap temp is still around 85. I ran it for about 3 hours. 2 hours hard after it warmed up. My back pan has about 1 inch above the flues, front pan 2 inches. Should I drop the back pan below the flues or leave it above? I will check them later and might light a small fire during the day tomorrow. Thanks.

Thompson's Tree Farm
03-16-2014, 07:58 PM
You will be fine for tonight. Leave the back pan level above the flues. Ice floats so you will have a layer on top when the flues themselves are not frozen. Put a small fire in tomorrow. Worst it will do is lower the color slightly.

PerryW
03-16-2014, 08:54 PM
when a cold snap is expected, I run my pans down as low as possible and let it freeze into a block and never had any problem in 25 years

Ridge777
03-16-2014, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I have a big learning curve ahead. I need more boil time to get used to how this evaporator works. I can't wait for the season to really start.

cpmaple
03-17-2014, 03:27 AM
I can say its only my 6th season but I have never drained my pans. I put a small electric heater in the firebox on low for real cold nights and it works well. Matter of fax its in there right now since its -10 here right now in crown point ny

umpwood1
03-17-2014, 08:22 AM
If it is going to get below 15, I drain my pans. I always think "It'll be ok", but then I chicken out. It only takes 15 mins. I am not a big risk taker. A 2x6 is alot easier to do than some of the rigs. "When in doubt..Drain 'er out"
Regards,
Woody