PDA

View Full Version : Arch, Evaporator, and Sap

Errin OH
03-16-2014, 06:48 PM
We have not been getting much sap, however we have had a few minor runs and enough to do some boiling. This is about the best it has done in a 12 hour period. Trouble is they are generally 3-4 days apart. But hey, we have made 3 gallons of syrup. :D

I am very happy with the boil we are getting. The seal on the door came loose and we learned real fast that it screwed up the heat. I replaced seal and got it back to where it should be. Loading every 8 mins or so with natural draft closing in on 14 gal an hour (24x42). I played with the arch a bit between firings. I did have to make a block for the dividers to keep it from backing up into the middle of the pan. Just blocks the opening on the divider for the front two channels. The first round we boiled for 7 hours and finished on a wood stove. Now we pull off about a gallon of syrup about every 3 - 3.5 hours right of the evap.

I am also liking the the removable Draft control / ash box door. Makes clean out a breeze. Not liking the Barrel Stove Kit door. :( We have not boiled at night but I would bet that thing just about glows. All the paint is gone. May look at replacing in the off season with something that is insulated.

I am impressed how well the grate is holding up. We are generating enough heat that you can't stand 2 feet in front of the door for more and a few mins :o , yet the grate shows no sign of warpage.

newmod
03-16-2014, 07:05 PM
Hopefully here in Ohio we can get a better run In the coming weeks. Where are you located? I am in Loudonville