PDA

View Full Version : Did I burn my pan past repair?

efoyt
03-16-2014, 03:27 PM
So first time using our evaperator and we burnt our pan while drawing off the sap...we know how to do it the right way now so. Don't need advice on that. I would like advice on if and how we can buff out the pan or did we ruin it.

Thanks

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Soak it in vinegar overnight and should scrub out fairly easily. Just put straight vinegar on it. Pan is just barely broken in! Be like new!

jmayerl
03-16-2014, 04:27 PM
Yeah,..... That's nothin! Easy clean. If vinegar don't work then get some milk stone remover and a green scrubber

Chicopee Sap Shack
03-16-2014, 04:44 PM
Pressure washer works winders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-16-2014, 04:46 PM
wood chisel very lightly push it across the burnt area. Scrubby pads didnt work for me or scotch brite pads

maple flats
03-16-2014, 04:51 PM
chisel is too risky. Let it soak in milkstone remover, about 1/4-1/2" deep, warm a few times using a torch lightly underneath. Then after a day, clean it off using a green or white scotchbright pad. It should be good as new, with several years use to come. You might want to try a plastic scrapper first so the milkstone remover can get to the problem better.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-16-2014, 04:57 PM
chisel is too risky. Let it soak in milkstone remover, about 1/4-1/2" deep, warm a few times using a torch lightly underneath. Then after a day, clean it off using a green or white scotchbright pad. It should be good as new, with several years use to come. You might want to try a plastic scrapper first so the milkstone remover can get to the problem better.
used it on my own a few times not saying to put it in a air hammer, its stainless your pushing it across, not lead or copper

Indiana-Jones
03-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Efoyt, are you using a defoamer? Your pan looks like mine, when I learned about defoamer.

adk1
03-16-2014, 08:26 PM
I would try the least invasive technique first, soak in vinegar water mix. U can even warm it up with a fire to a light boil. Then let it cool some and start scrubbing with a scotch brite pad

cbhansen
03-16-2014, 09:01 PM
Two years ago I left my daughter to watch the pans while I went to collect sap. Well, that didn't end well and my 2x3 pan ended up over 50% burnt. After taking a few deep breaths, I started to clean the pan. I filled the pan with water covering all the burnt areas and put it back on the fire. I added PBW and left the pans to simmer a few hours. Then came the muscle - scotch pads and curly wire scrubbing pads. I took a few hours, but I got the pans "clean" and continued boiling for the remainder of the season (and last year) without issue. Now, the bottom of the pan is slightly warped from the burning, but doesn't cause any problem.

PerryW
03-16-2014, 09:41 PM
Looks like you didn't even warp it. I burned mine one enough so that sap was running out through the solder joints. I fixed it myself and have been using the same pan for 20 years since.

efoyt
03-17-2014, 05:00 AM
I'm not using a defoamer...we got some cip mechanical acid cleaner ( pan cleaner ). And I was going to give that a try tonight.

Thoughts?

Bruce L
03-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Milk stone remover with heated water for several hours should do the trick, maybe even try it on the spots pure for 2-3 hours. Vinegar mixed with baking soda also can do wonders, don't use anything like steel wool though as the scratches will collect niter later on.

Indiana-Jones
03-17-2014, 10:34 AM
Efoyt, what I'm getting at is, that when I burn my pan, the near syrup at the draw off was foaming up so much that all of the liquid was up in the bubbles, there was not much in contact with the pan. When I tried to draw off, then there was even less, the temp shot up and the pan was scorched.

A drop or two of defoamer every now and then, brakes the surface tension of the bubbles and helps to keep the sap in contact with the pan. There are a lot of threads on the Trader about the what and how of defoamer.

IMHO I couldn't boil with out it.

Have a great season.

abbott
03-17-2014, 11:06 AM
I'm not using a defoamer...we got some cip mechanical acid cleaner ( pan cleaner ). And I was going to give that a try tonight.

Thoughts?

Yup, try simmering your pan cleaner - not sure what the instructions say on what you have, but don't dilute it too much. Avoid even the green scrubby pads if you can because they scratch some too - but use them if that's what it comes to. I sometimes use a wooden lath (like a thin piece of birch out of a bundle of slabwood) to scrape, but that's for plain old niter. Not sure if it would help you. It's certainly more gentle than a chisel.

You should definitely use defoamer. I like using a bit of organic canola oil in an eye dropper bottle - but I'm marketing my syrup as certified organic. Vegetable oil in general is a good readily available option. I'm sure you're finding lots of threads on here about how deep to run the pans and when to defoam, etc.

efoyt
03-17-2014, 02:07 PM
I'll give the defoamer a try

Efoyt, what I'm getting at is, that when I burn my pan, the near syrup at the draw off was foaming up so much that all of the liquid was up in the bubbles, there was not much in contact with the pan. When I tried to draw off, then there was even less, the temp shot up and the pan was scorched.

A drop or two of defoamer every now and then, brakes the surface tension of the bubbles and helps to keep the sap in contact with the pan. There are a lot of threads on the Trader about the what and how of defoamer.

IMHO I couldn't boil with out it.

Have a great season.

Sugarmaker
03-17-2014, 03:42 PM
That pan doesn't look too bad. Could have been worse for sure. So may I ask what your going to do different next time:)?
Regards.
Chris

sg5054
03-17-2014, 05:24 PM
I burnt mine hard enough to set it on fire last season. :o Now that was exciting!! I had a Mason 2x3 flat pan.
I flooded the pan and kept a light fire going. Gently scraped it out to get what came easily. Drained and refilled with pan cleaner (acid) and left it for the night. Next day I drained it and used a roloc scotchbrite disc on a die grinder to remove the tough stuff. Took a 5 lb plastic hammer to the pan on a cement floor to flattened out the bottom. I was all done and went back to boiling in about 2 hours max.
You can get the roloc discs and adapter at NAPA auto. It will work in a drill as well just not as fast as a die grinder.

efoyt
03-17-2014, 08:37 PM
I'm going to add water as I draw off the sap.

That pan doesn't look too bad. Could have been worse for sure. So may I ask what your going to do different next time:)?
Regards.
Chris

efoyt
03-20-2014, 07:13 AM
Fixed and looks like new!

Thanks for all the help!

axe
01-23-2015, 09:49 AM
I am guessing that you do not use the milk stone remover straight from the bottle. What dilution do you use?

axe
01-23-2015, 09:50 AM
Do you heat the pan while cleaning with milk Stone remover?

maple flats
01-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Yes, to just above luke warm., and dilute according to container directions.

Sugarmaker
01-23-2015, 08:12 PM
I'm going to add water as I draw off the sap.

Have you made syrup after this was scorched last season? Not sure what you mean by adding water as you draw off?
If its that last of your sap for the season you may want to chase it through the rig with water. Other than that only if it is a emergency like if the pan was going to scorch and you had no more sap available.
Keep a OH S--T bucket of sap near the draw off area while boiling. I have used one many times.
Regards,
Chris.