PDA

View Full Version : thinking

cmstearns
03-16-2014, 02:52 PM
yes I was thinking, my wife hates that. I want to build a shed-sugar shack. for the walls and roof can I go 2'on center or stay with 16. just thinkin

maple flats
03-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Both should be good at 2' centers, you just need to cover the rafters with material rated for 2' centers (on center or OC). My trusses are 24" OC except the one where the stack passes thru, that is 30" OC. No problems.

Michael Greer
03-17-2014, 05:35 AM
Lots of modern houses are built on 24" canters. It makes the sheetrock a little squishy, but I'll bet there won't be sheetrock in the sugarhouse anyway, eh? The more important issue is whether your roof is sturdy enough to support the worst-case snow load. The depth of the rafters, and how they attach to the other building make for the biggest concern.

tcross
03-17-2014, 10:25 AM
2 foot on center will work! both for the roof and the walls! most people use 2' on center for their roof now days! if u put in collar ties, most the weight should be on the outside walls anyways!... if not, you'll probably be better off with a good structural ridge beam... or post it down somewhere! 16" is more sturdy and common for the walls... and in all reality, unless you're making a huge sugar house, you won't be using too many more if spaced 16" o.c! if you do space them 2' o.c use blocking or a sturdy sheathing like 1/2" plywood or 1x boards!

Cabin
03-17-2014, 01:26 PM
2x4 or 2x6????

Walls with 2x4s on 24 inch center can have a bit more flex. But that can be corrected for with a stronger siding material. Or you can go pole built and have 8 foot on center. :lol: