PDA

View Full Version : Burning pan tips?

chuckinduck
03-16-2014, 08:46 AM
I'm using a block arch and feel like I spend way too much time cleaning scorched pans after a boil. I tried setting the pans on gasket material last year. It helped a little. Is there anything else u can do? Thanks. Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happy thoughts
03-16-2014, 09:05 AM
I'm assuming you're using steam table pans. How deep do you run them? I've found running mine deep prevents a lot of the inside burn. A few drops of defoamer like canola oil also helps. If not that then you need to keep skimming foam constantly.

I only clean the inside of my pans between boils and just brush off flaked soot on the bottom. Letting them soak overnight in plain water is about all it takes here. If there's a tough spot, Bar Keeper's Friend and a soft nylon scrubby takes it right out. At the end of the season I use easy off oven cleaner on the bottoms.

chuckinduck
03-16-2014, 10:26 AM
Yes. Steam table pans. I run them about 1" from the surface. I tend them pretty much whole time skimming excess. I have a constant drip system so it's always adding fresh sap from the holding tank. I've never tried a defoamer though. By the way. I've found white vinegar is great at cleaning up burned spots. I just don't like doing it. Lol.

CincySyrupPusher
03-16-2014, 01:59 PM
I just had to take a Wire Cup on the grinder to mine, after a two day (stopped over night) boiling session. I can't run mine more than 3-4" deep as the boiling jumps out of the pans.

I am strongly considering making my Oil Tank evap more like a true arch. Filling in with steel so my pans only get heat from the bottom. Would eliminate 100% of the cleaning and burning sap on insides of the pans. Might loose a little GPH rate, but I can't stand cleaning these pans!!!! Next to filtering, it's the worst part :(

chuckinduck
03-17-2014, 09:03 AM
I thought about prohibiting heat to the sides as well. But figured my gph would be compromised. It's the only thing I hate more then burnt pans. Long days!!