PDA

View Full Version : Syrup color difference

newmod
03-16-2014, 08:02 AM
I have a question about the color of syrup. I boiled down 70 gallons yesterday to get 23 half pints. The color was a noticeable difference from the 12 half pints from my sap 2 weeks ago. Is it due from the sap taken at different times or does it have to due with the boil time? Yesterdays boil was twice as long. I am using a an Oil tank evaporator, so really no difference in the way it was boiled from the two different times. The syrup from yesterday has a stronger flavor also. Oh yesterdays batch was taken one point higher on the brix scale on the hydrometer also

Thanks
Newmod

happy thoughts
03-16-2014, 08:15 AM
It could be due to all those things including higher density and some things you didn't mention like freshness of sap and age of taps. Presence of certain bacteria are known to affect both flavor and color.

newmod
03-16-2014, 10:09 AM
The one on the left was yesterdays boil and the right was from last week. Sap from both boils were about the same age. No difference that I can think of9212

happy thoughts
03-16-2014, 10:41 AM
The one on the left was yesterdays boil and the right was from last week. Sap from both boils were about the same age. No difference that I can think of9212

Syrup made from early sap tends to be lighter in color in general. And the end of season batches tend to be very dark in my own experience. Beyond that the long boil time of the second batch and it's slightly higher density are probably the biggest factors making your syrup darker imho. But if it tastes good what's the difference? I make many small batches each season and have never had any consistency in color or even flavor, all things being equal. I like them all :)

TerryEspo
03-17-2014, 05:18 PM
Hey Newmod

I get the same thing too. Kinda a mystery I think, same trees, same pots, same everything, but......way different syrup. It is one of the things I love about sugaring, not always predictable, but end result is enjoyable.

Good luck with each and every batch you make this season.