PDA

View Full Version : will sap flow?

tbear
03-15-2014, 11:34 AM
I tapped on Sat. March 8th, 70 buckets. As of today only one tree is running. At first I assumed the trees were frozen, but we've had several sunny days in the 50's, most of the snow is melted and still nothing. Now I'm assuming it's the frost in the ground keeping the sap from running. I'm wondering if when the ground thaws the overnight temps may not go below freezing. In that situation, will the sap not run? Would there be at least one good run when the ground thaws even with nights above freezing. I guess my question might be, will the thawing of the ground amount to one freeze/thaw cycle? Thanks, Ted

Ausable
03-15-2014, 05:51 PM
tbear - I walk in where only fools choose to tread. The Boys and Girls are waiting in the wings and no matter what I suggest will swoop out of the maples and stomp all over my reply. But - I'm old and don't care. Hey! You didn't mention Your nighttime temperature. Around 40F with the Sun shining in the daytime and below freezing at night - in the upper 20's is good. I'm still waiting too. But - I have had very few days above freezing. Did You tap at least 1 1/2 inches deep? I think it is too soon to have a bacteria problem with Your spile holes. So - be patient my friend. The others should chime in now - that someone has cracked the ice - and I Hope give You a real solution.

tbear
03-15-2014, 06:24 PM
Groovy man, thanks!