PDA

View Full Version : Moving Day,,,how to level arch outside on snow ??

TerryEspo
03-15-2014, 09:36 AM
Good Morning Everyone !!

I have a couple friends lined up for later today to move the new arch out of the garage.
Kinda excited to try a test boil and see how she performs.

My dilemma is how to place the arch outside the garage on the snow and ice. I am guessing as the wheather warms the snow is going to melt and the legs are going to sink at different times.

My plan is a sheet of plywood will go under the whole arch, thinking it will keep the legs above ground and I can shim the plywood or the legs if it goes off level.

Does anyone have a better idea of what to do? Chipping all snow and ice away to get to ground is not reasonable.

Here is a phone pic of the rig, will take a few more later once it is outside in the cold !!

Thank-you.9194 Not sure why pic is sideways ???

Shaun
03-15-2014, 10:01 AM
I welded some nuts on the legs and put in some 6 inch bolts and set it on some leftover angle iron. Just screwed it up and down, worked real good.

DoubleBrookMaple
03-15-2014, 10:49 AM
I welded some nuts on the legs and put in some 6 inch bolts and set it on some leftover angle iron. Just screwed it up and down, worked real good.

Something like this?

Shaun
03-15-2014, 01:19 PM
Yes, my arch is not quite as nice. Mine ended up on the inside of the vertical angle which gave the most adjustment being able to turn the bolt all the way through without hitting the metal. I set the arch last year on frozen ground, it was still amazingly level this year. Should not be snow and ice for long once the fire starts. Looks great, have fun.

PACMAN
03-15-2014, 01:26 PM
With a nice cement floor in your garage,I would be running a stack out the garage somewhere? Besides,that would keep the draft off your pans and would be more enjoyable for those long boils into the night.

Ausable
03-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Terry - Nice looking rig. If You have to be outside - Your idea has merit. I have a 4 foot level I use to check mine. Yours is a large batch pan and good to keep it level - but - not as critical as in a continuous flow as long as you can keep the bottom of the pan covered with liquid to prevent scorching. Check level from time to time and shim where needed. You can use about anything for shims. A lot of us have to make corrections and shim to level as the frost comes out of the ground. Unless - Of course You have a proper concrete slab to rest it on. Don't misunderstand - To keep it level at all times is the best way to be. But....do the best You can.

TerryEspo
03-15-2014, 06:03 PM
Hey thanks Mike, lets hope she holds up to the temps, I am not the best welder out there, lol.

We got it outside, easier than I thought, basically put long boards down (2" x 6") and slid it inches at a time along the boards till it was outside the garage.

Did a fast level check, enough that 10 gallons of water covered all the pan with at least 1" and lit the fire. Saw a boil and had enough of the cold, lol.

I plan on a simple TeePee type cover structure with a tarp roof, if windy or rainy I will drop the tarp for sides, LOL. My wife is gonna love that!

Pics to follow when I have better weather.

Thanks

Ausable
03-16-2014, 07:56 AM
LOL - For sides - I used 4x8 sheets of whatever I had on hand - propped up to block the wind. With tarps for the roof. Hey! Ya do what ya gotta do to survive when boiling. --Have Fun. --Mike--