PDA

View Full Version : Continue boiling the next day

dblact38
03-15-2014, 08:18 AM
Just a crazy question, I batch boil on a barrel evaporator, between work and my kids sports, its hard to boil for hours, if I stop before it turns to syrup & continue the next day, will I ruin my sap that's in the pan? Thanks any information will help!

PerryW
03-15-2014, 08:41 AM
No problem. Even the big guys have to leave sap in the pans between boils; sometimes for a week or more. Also, sap that has been boiled will keep longer than raw sap, since any microorganism are killed.

happy thoughts
03-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Not a crazy question. Lots of us do partial boils. Keeping overnight shouldn't be a problem but some things to consider- Can you keep the partial syrup cold? Can you keep the pans critter proof. If you can't you should drain the pans between boils and keep the syrup refrigerated.

gwcutter10
03-15-2014, 10:44 PM
I boil on a 2x3 half pint pan.. It is usually cold enough to let it sit... sometimes even freeze..Mine sits for a few days if I don't have enough to boil.... I take the ice out that I can since the water comes to the top... And as already said it will last longer because it is not raw sap...

backyard sugaring
03-15-2014, 10:48 PM
I cut 2 pieces of plywood that I put over mine. Just don't want a mouse to go for a swim. Good luck. Lee

Josh Nickles
03-16-2014, 06:02 AM
I cut 2 pieces of plywood that I put over mine. Just don't want a mouse to go for a swim. Good luck. Lee

Yes, I've been there too. It really stinks to drain and discard the contents of a 2'x6' evaporator just because some dopey chipmunk took a dive.

wnybassman
03-16-2014, 06:55 AM
I made an aluminum cover for mine and weight it down with a few bricks. I couldn't find a piece big enough locally so I two pieced it, and put an interlocking seam in the middle so rain doesn't run in.

TerryEspo
03-17-2014, 05:05 PM
That's a nice cover Bassman, thanks for sharing that pic !!

Ausable
03-17-2014, 05:16 PM
All Good advice - I also cover my little homemade continuous flow once the fire is down and the pan is no longer making steam. Floaters in the air, mice, chipmunks, red squirrels and later in the season - insects of all types - can get into your sap to near syrup. So Yes - I resume a boil the next day both in batch pans and continuous flow pans. But - keep it covered till ready to start up again like everyone else has said.