PDA

View Full Version : Thermometers for syrup.

Pumpkin Village Maple
03-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Had a nice Hanna digital thermometer (no longer instock)I used it to back up the dial one in my rigs syrup pan. It's gone bad after three years and now I'm looking for a replacement. Any recommendations? I purchased an expensive one awhile back and it was worthless for the job. (highly recommended at Leaders) I'm looking to spend around $70.00. I like one in the pan just to make me feel better. Thanks for any help.
We're celebrating 10 years in our sugarhouse this year!!!:D

BAP
03-14-2014, 07:26 PM
Maple Guys, this site's sponsor has one for $40 that I bought 2 this year. They look like they should be good. Worked well the 1 time I have been able to boil so far.

DaveB
03-14-2014, 07:31 PM
I don't have any specific suggestions but I'm wondering if someone still makes those long thermometers that had an adjustable scale. I remember seeing them more when I first started about 25 years ago but I don't know if they make them. I actually have two thermometer jacks on my evaporator - one digital connected to my auto drawoff and one dial thermometer. I'm kind of particular about temperature readings having a meteorology background and I adjust both prior to the season using a certified thermometer and go from there.

If anyone knows about those tall adjustable thermometers, I'd like to know as well.

Spolcik
03-15-2014, 01:07 AM
Smokeylakemaple sells a 9" stem dial thermometer also 6" stem not sure if you want longer but I know he sells those that screw into the pan. He sells them on eBay as well but if you order them direct from him they are about 5 bucks cheaper than eBay. They come in 3 and 5 inch faces too.

Spolcik
03-15-2014, 01:10 AM
Oh sugarbushsupplies.com I think they have them as well?

DaveB
03-20-2014, 11:19 AM
I don't have any specific suggestions but I'm wondering if someone still makes those long thermometers that had an adjustable scale. I remember seeing them more when I first started about 25 years ago but I don't know if they make them. I actually have two thermometer jacks on my evaporator - one digital connected to my auto drawoff and one dial thermometer. I'm kind of particular about temperature readings having a meteorology background and I adjust both prior to the season using a certified thermometer and go from there.

If anyone knows about those tall adjustable thermometers, I'd like to know as well.

I wanted to bump this up again to see if there was anyone that knows if those tall thermometers with an adjustable scale are still made. I was thinking about a backup thermometer and having a manual backup like one of those would be perfect. They were about 18-20" long and had a scale that you could adjust according to your locale. Thanks.

Riverdale
03-20-2014, 11:51 AM
Bascom's is the only place I've found one online - ordered it over two weeks ago but alas they did not have any in stock and are awaiting a delivery before they can send it to me.