PDA

View Full Version : Tapping Damaged maples?

chuckinduck
03-14-2014, 01:24 PM
I had a large number of maple damaged during the ice storm we had just before Xmas. Is there any fear of causing more harm to these trees by tapping this spring? Several trees received significant limb loss and I don't want to further jeopardize the trees already compromised health by tapping them if it would cause an issue. Thanks. Ryan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CWebster
03-14-2014, 01:44 PM
I tapped a few trees I had damaged and they were pretty much dry as a bone....I'll be moving them (the taps). My other trees all wept or ran pretty good for the short amount of time they had with the right conditions earlier this week. I tapped the damaged trees (various stages of damage, top gone, half the limbs gone, half the top gone, etc..)just to see if they would do anything, but I'm afraid they're not going to give anything...live and learn..

chuckinduck
03-14-2014, 08:09 PM
Yah I figure I'll just air on side of caution and go tap ones that didn't suffer any damage.

Russell Lampron
03-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Check the UVM study on this. They have found that trees damaged by ice storms and wind will handle being tapped better than trees that have suffered a drought. Sorry that I can't link it up but if Dr Tim isn't too busy maybe he can help us out.

adk1
03-14-2014, 10:05 PM
U can tap them for sure. I would suggest tappin on opposite side of damaged area for the first year for sure.

chuckinduck
03-16-2014, 08:41 AM
Ok. That's great to hear. Thanks for your help guys.