PDA

View Full Version : Washing a used 300 GALLON IBC tank

Maplesapper
03-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Any good way to wash out a used food grade IBC tank or am I better off buying new.
They had fish oil in them, so I bet that's nasty to completely remove.

village idiot
03-14-2014, 10:49 AM
I've found a pressure washer and a little bit of dish soap then bleach works well, followed by a ton of rinsing (also with the pressure washer). I usually do this in the spring when it is warm out, because I get soaked from the back spray. It may be miserable to do it when it is below freezing.

Although I've recently come around to the idea that buying new (if you can afford it) is probably worth it because of the frustration savings.

spencer11
03-14-2014, 02:14 PM
If ifs just a storage tank and not a transport tank, cut a hole in the top, that's what I did. Then you can get in and clean it out, if you don't wanna cut a hole in the top I would do what village did^^

Russell Lampron
03-14-2014, 08:15 PM
I'm not sure if you will be able to completely clean fish oil out. Plastic will hold a lot of oily substances for a long time. If you can't get tanks that can be cleaned out, buy new. I have three 275 gallon IBC tanks that had a Potasium Lactate / Sodium Diacitate blend in them. It is a preservative that is used mainly in sliced ham. I rinsed mine and let them dry several times before I used them for sap and permeate storage.