PDA

View Full Version : Who needs a tap?

johnallin
03-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Out straightening up after yesterday's wind storm tonight and came across this recently cut branch that looks like it was running more than anything else on the property before it froze up. It's on a sapling about 4" in diameter and sure reminded me of Dr. Tim's coppiced tree method. The branch is 1" in dia. and appears to have been pouring sap before the freeze up.
I'm thinking I have a few hundred of these and can just hang buckets under the branch an collect away. No tap in my bush had that kind of "sapcicle" on it, the thing must be 1" in diameter and 4-5 inches long. I am definitely going to hang something on that and see what I get.

Run Forest Run!
03-13-2014, 09:10 PM
That's a really cool picture. Get a bucket and catch that sap!

maple flats
03-14-2014, 05:03 AM
For the future try training a branch on some small maples destined to be removed so the branch slopes down. Then cut it off at tapping time and try hanging a bucket. You might be pleased.

TerryEspo
03-14-2014, 08:15 AM
That's a neat pic.

Dave, this year I am going to just that, clip a branch off a small tree that will be cut anyway and see what happens.

Thanks

johnallin
03-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Guys, with this warm up , I'm going to hang something under that branch and if it runs like I think it will - I'm going to cut some more.
The thought of it is staggering. No tap, no tube, I only need a bucket and tons of trees just like this, that up to now have been too small to even touch.

Thinking about it further; this is no more than a lost limb that this little tree has no problem dealing with at all. The deer do more damage than this.