PDA

View Full Version : overcooked my syrup

JEHardy01-Ohio
03-13-2014, 11:13 AM
So...everything was going fine. I had 8 gallons of sap and cooked it down to about 32 ounces. My boil had subsidded and the last of the water was simmering off. Suddenly I got a rapid boil, checked the temp and I was at 219. I poured the syrup into a large meaasuring cup and made my mistake. I thought the syrup was too thin so I put it back on and boiled for another 8 minutes. It came out thick and I bottled it. This morning, I found my cooled maple "syrup" hard as a rock in my bottle...

Questions...
1. Should I always stop at 219 and just take the thickeness at whatever it is or is it safe to boil any longer?

2. Is there anyting I can do with my "bottled block of syrup?" Can you warm an add water? If I could get it our of the jar, is it good for anything?

Working on my next 10 gallons now...

Thanks!

Rangdale
03-13-2014, 11:23 AM
I would invest in a hydrometer, you'll be exact every time. If you haven't taken it down too far you can absolutely bring it back, I've done it a few times myself. Just heat it up in some water or sap and try again.

Sugarmaker
03-13-2014, 11:26 AM
So...everything was going fine. I had 8 gallons of sap and cooked it down to about 32 ounces. My boil had subsidded and the last of the water was simmering off. Suddenly I got a rapid boil, checked the temp and I was at 219. I poured the syrup into a large meaasuring cup and made my mistake. I thought the syrup was too thin so I put it back on and boiled for another 8 minutes. It came out thick and I bottled it. This morning, I found my cooled maple "syrup" hard as a rock in my bottle...

Questions...
1. Should I always stop at 219 and just take the thickeness at whatever it is or is it safe to boil any longer?

2. Is there anyting I can do with my "bottled block of syrup?" Can you warm an add water? If I could get it our of the jar, is it good for anything?

Working on my next 10 gallons now...

Thanks!

Hi,
You did pretty good! I would suggest, if you don't have already, a digital thermometer that has tenths of a degree.
Then check this thermometer in a pan of boiling water on the day your going to boil. It may or may not be 212 when the water boils. Water boils at about 210 around here, and each thermometer can be off a degree or two. I had two the other day that were off by about 2 degrees.
So get your self calibrated. The syrup is made at 7.1 (7 works) above where water boils so when we made syrup last time on the auto draw off, it was at 217.4. and that was a little on the heavy side.
My guess is that you made maple fudge or maybe even candy, for it to be that firm. Was it still clear or did it crystallize? I would try heating it gently in microwave or boiling water to get it back to liquid.
Then you can dilute it with sap or syrup and make it into candy or sugar, (crumb).
These things happen:)
Regards,
Chris

Ausable
03-13-2014, 11:33 AM
Sounds like it went to the Hard Rock Candy Stage. Ideally - If water boiled in Your area at 212F it would be maple syrup at 219.1F. However - Thermometers and Humans are not always accurate. You are not alone - I have done the same thing. Mine was hard as a white rock in a jar and I couldn't do anything with it. Or - Normally I would make my maple syrup too thin - using the large shiny bubble - ladder on a spoon system. Finally - After many years of trial and error - I bought a syrup hydrometer and made my own test cup (I have a real one now). Since that time - I know when I am at Maple Syrup. Thermometers are good for ball park numbers - Syrup Hydrometers are good for making maple syrup. Get one soon my friend - don't be cheap and dumb like I was. --Mike--

happy thoughts
03-13-2014, 11:40 AM
You should be able to reconstitute it back to syrup density if you're lucky. Is there any room in the bottle to add fresh sap? Try warm sap and let it sit a little. Pour off what you can and add more fresh sap. If you don't have fresh sap wait until you do. If you microwave the bottle be careful. The high sugar content will make it heat very quickly. I'd only heat 10-15 seconds at a time until you see what happens. Then you can start the process all over once you get your hunk of sugar liquified..

If you don't make enough to justify the purchase of a hydrometer then learn what is meant by sheeting and use it as a guide to judge when it's syrup. You can't make syrup just by looking at the temp on a thermometer.

Good luck. I hope you can salvage it.

KGodshall
03-13-2014, 11:54 AM
Welcome to the world of "Been There, Done That". (Many residents inhabit this land........)

It's a learning process every time. Enjoy the journey, as well as enjoying the end product and you will find yourself with a rewarding experience all the way around.

Sugarmaker
03-13-2014, 12:09 PM
You should be able to reconstitute it back to syrup density if you're lucky. Is there any room in the bottle to add fresh sap? Try warm sap and let it sit a little. Pour off what you can and add more fresh sap. If you don't have fresh sap wait until you do. If you microwave the bottle be careful. The high sugar content will make it heat very quickly. I'd only heat 10-15 seconds at a time until you see what happens. Then you can start the process all over once you get your hunk of sugar liquified..

If you don't make enough to justify the purchase of a hydrometer then learn what is meant by sheeting and use it as a guide to judge when it's syrup. You can't make syrup just by looking at the temp on a thermometer.

Good luck. I hope you can salvage it.

Great suggestions!
Regards,
Chris

KGodshall
03-13-2014, 12:11 PM
I poured the syrup into a large meaasuring cup and made my mistake. I thought the syrup was too thin so I put it back on and boiled for another 8 minutes.

BTW: Hot syrup always looks thin. You can't go by that.

FWIW: I wouldn't add the "hard" stuff back into your next batch. Take the loss and move on. If it doesn't work, you've ruined 2 batches. Start batch #2 at square one, take what you've learned and apply it, and see if you are happier with your results.

Once you are comfortable, knowing you can achieve a desirable product on a repeatable basis, THEN you might want to try experimentation to fix some past sins. If it's me, I don't add another variable into the mix, unless I have a sufficient, quality supply already sitting on the shelf.

Again, just me. Best of luck. Hope to hear how you made out on the second run.

JEHardy01-Ohio
03-13-2014, 12:23 PM
Thanks...I appreciate the additional thoughts. I made two batches last year..only about 30 ounces and they both came out great and I thought..."this is easy". Just pushed it alittle too far this year. Second batch is cooking right now...I'll let you know how it goes.

JEHardy01-Ohio
03-13-2014, 12:27 PM
Thanks to everyone for the input. I knew I wasn;t the only one to have ever done this...I am shopping for a hydrometer now...

so here is my other issue...I'm boiling in a 5 gallon turkey fryer. I have 10 taps in trees on my land and 5 gallons buckets on each. I will be gather sap this saturday and expect to have about 50 gallons. I just bought a 45 gallon stock pot. any tips on how best to heat this over an open fire so that I get enough heat to keep a good boil going?

I'm an outdoorsman and tinkerer...tried this syrup thing last year and I'm hooked and can't put my finger on why but it sure does excite me...

Pibster
03-13-2014, 12:39 PM
My thermometer is usually shows around 221 before it's thick enough to be tested with my hydrotherm. At 219 my hydrotherm drops out of site.

optionguru
03-13-2014, 01:43 PM
For tinkerers I recommend a barrel or oil tank evaporator. Do a search you'll find a ton of great designs for the do it yourselfer. It's fun to make upgrades every year and push the limit a little more. Have a great season.

Clinkis
03-13-2014, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=JEHardy01-Ohio;246215]Thanks to everyone for the input. I knew I wasn;t the only one to have ever done this...I am shopping for a hydrometer now...

It will be the best $25 you'll ever spend. I've made syrup for 30 years and probably 25 of those years without a hydrometer. I've ruined and under boiled many a batch. Just when you think you have it figured out you'll screw up another batch! There is no second guessing with a hydrometer. If I had know how much hassle it would save me I would have bought one years ago. If you are handy then hopefully you can make a hydro cup. They are usually double what the hydrometer is worth. Good luck!

JEHardy01-Ohio
03-14-2014, 07:44 AM
I finished up batch number two last night around midnight. I really debated what to do with the batch I had ruined and had pretty much decided to trash it and forget it. I had boiled down to a reasonable amount of sap and moved inside to the stove with two large soup pots. I decided to risk one of the pots and put my "solid maple sugar" into it and see what happens. It dissolved in almost immediately and I ended up combinin the two pots. I finished with about 40 ounces of syrup out of 13 gallons of sap. Tastes and looks great! I have another batch going today.

Thanks again for all of the ideas feedback and ideas!

MidMichMaple
03-14-2014, 10:52 AM
On the subject of a hydro cup, I was wondering what I could use for that. I am a first timer. I have a hydrometer that I bought for a reasonable price from sugarbush supply, but thanks to the weather I have yet to attempt to finish my first batch (other than a failed micro batch similar to the OP).

I was looking in the cupboard yesterday and a stainless coffee mug caught my eye. It is tall and fairly narrow. Anyone think something like that would suffice for a hydro cup?

happy thoughts
03-14-2014, 10:56 AM
I know some others have used brieifcase thermos bottles. They're a lot narrower than a cup so shouldn't use as much syrup. But if a cup is all you have and it's at least as tall as your hydrometer is long, then try it. No reason it shouldn't work.

MidMichMaple
03-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Thanks. I am learning quickly that sugarers are a creative bunch!

Clinkis
03-14-2014, 11:21 AM
As long as there is room to completely submerge hydrometer, thus your cup needs to be as deep as the hydrometer is tall. Some hydrometers are shorter then others and will work ok in a tall coffee cup or thermos. You can also make one out of a piece of pipe and just put an end cap at one end and rig up some kind of handle. You'll probably find that eventually want the proper cup as they work the best but you can definitely get by without it if your a little creative.

Clinkis
03-14-2014, 11:28 AM
I just checked and the cups are only $27 now. I think I paid $40 for mine about 4 years ago I think. Just one less case of beer you can buy while watching sap boil!

Ausable
03-14-2014, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=happy thoughts;246454]I know some others have used brieifcase thermos bottles. They're a lot narrower than a cup so shouldn't use as much syrup. But if a cup is all you have and it's at least as tall as your hydrometer is long, then try it. No reason it shouldn't work.[/QUOTE

Yes Sir - I am one of them. Found a stainless Briefcase Thermos at Walmart in a sale bin for $3 - bought a handle and two large adjustable hose clamps at a Dollar store for another $2 and for a total of $5.00 I had a better test cup than You would pay $25.00 for. I know - because I later acquired a regulation test cup mixed in with a box of old sugarin stuff I bought. We Hobby Maple Syrup Producers have to make good maple syrup and not mortgage the house in the process. For us - It is a hobby and not a business. Now a syrup hydrometer is another thing - lol - some things we have to buy ---- unless You have a Buddy that is good at blowing glass as a hobby. LOL ---Mike---