Ligonierbeech
03-13-2014, 09:01 AM
Are diffrent grades of syrup thicker than other grades at the same density

mapleack
03-13-2014, 09:05 AM
No they aren't.

Sugarmaker
03-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Still thinking on this? I think your asking about viscosity. We typically don't check viscosity. There are instruments simple and complex to check viscosity. I have to ask "why do you ask" Is this question important to you? Or just curious.
Example Honey and syrup have almost the same density about 11 lb per gallon. But from experience the honey clings to a spoon more than syrup. Peanut butter might have a similar density but is obviously thicker and not runny.
Try googling Zhan cups these are simple tools we used to measure viscosity of liquids and mixes to get the right viscosity for painting. I think you could get one of these rather inexpensively. Pour the liquid through the cup and measure time it takes to go through. More details later on this. May have to experiment. Maybe Dr. Tim has the answer?
Regards,
Chris

happy thoughts
03-13-2014, 10:51 AM
To confuse the issue further, density plays a role in viscosity. Syrup produced in VT and NH is more viscous than other states because their minimum density is higher by law. And above and beyond that, temperature of the syrup is also a significant factor. Cool syrup is more viscous than hot syrup and is the reason it filters better at higher temps.

DrTimPerkins
03-13-2014, 12:35 PM
Are diffrent grades of syrup thicker than other grades at the same density

If you are asking whether it is possible to scientifically determine whether there are statistical differences in viscosity between different grades of maple syrup, then the answer is yes, there are minimal (but statistically significant) differences in structural parameters of maple syrup by grade. There are reasons for this, but you probably don't want to read the 10 pages of explanation (and I don't want to write it).

If you are asking as a consumer whether there a difference in thickness of the different grades....then no, there is nothing that you would ever detect by putting it in your mouth.

Ligonierbeech
03-13-2014, 01:37 PM
The reason I was asking is because I finished my syrup with a hydrometer and my son went to a maple producer for preschool and the small 3.4oz sample bottle they gave him is very much thicker !

DrTimPerkins
03-13-2014, 01:43 PM
The reason I was asking is because I finished my syrup with a hydrometer and my son went to a maple producer for preschool and the small 3.4oz sample bottle they gave him is very much thicker !

I think that it is far more likely that the other producer packed at a higher density, or one of you has a measurement of density that is off (you light or him heavy).

markct
03-13-2014, 02:01 PM
Or the sample bottle was cold! That makes a huge difference

DrTimPerkins
03-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Or the sample bottle was cold! That makes a huge difference

Absolutely....in a real big way.

Ligonierbeech
03-13-2014, 05:50 PM
No both were room temp. I'm doing very small batch boils so I wil combine all I get at the end of the season to bottle it and that will give me a chance to recheck my density and adjust if needed. Thanks for all the replys!

Shirlsaw63
03-22-2014, 11:11 AM
I overboiled my first batch this year partially since I wasn't expecting a high sugar concentration in the sap (box elder) so the quantity of syrup surprised me. When I tested with a syrup hydrometer I had 77% sugar but it sure wasn't as dense as I expected for that sugar concentration. Now I have a sap hydrometer too so hopefully no surprises like that next time! The first box elder run obviously had a good sugar concentration.