PDA

View Full Version : Fitting name for a SS pot spout ?

TerryEspo
03-12-2014, 08:59 PM
I bought a 16 quart stainless pot today from Walmart, and want it to be my preheater.

I know a bulkhead fitting is what I have on my 55 gallons drum, but what is the fitting name I want for my 16 quart pot ?

I hope to drill a hole into the side of the pot and have it controlled dripping directly into my boil pan.

What product am I looking for ? Is the such thing as a SPIGOT kit?

I hope not to have to weld anything, just install with washers and tighten,,, is that possible?

Also, when I drill my hole in the SS pot, do I put the hole midway down, near the top or right at the bottom? I want the warmest sap dripping into my pan. The SS pot will be sitting on a hot surface, so getting heat from the bottom only. The SS pot will be getting filled from the top with cold filtered sap.

Thanks for your help.

Poor Farmer
03-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Something like this might work for you.
http://www.amazon.com/Weldless-Bulkhead-Stainless-Steel-valve/dp/B00420WMUU/ref=pd_sim_indust_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1BGF4S9D7ZXC2J2K0QE2

Sugarmaker
03-13-2014, 10:48 AM
If you calculated the size of the drilled hole you might be able to screw a fitting or Threaded shut off right in to the pan and get a decent seal. This may or may not work: maybe 50%? My luck it would not and I would have to get it welded or soldered to seal it. Location I guess I would put it as close to the bottom as possible. That's closest to the heat source and allows you to drain the pan.
Regards,
Chris

Spolcik
03-13-2014, 11:29 AM
I bought a ss pot with a spigot in it it was a buyo classic pot I believe. It had a slot for a rubber seal built in the nut. Not sure if they sell that separately or not but the one on amazon looks like it would work. Cheaper than the way I went I think it was $ 130 for the pot I bought.

maple flats
03-13-2014, 11:39 AM
It's called a bulkhead fitting regardless of what size vessel it's going into. The one you show may work, the main issue might be the thickness of the gasket and if it can accommodate the curve of the pot. I've added a fitting to a syrup pan by just making the hole and then silver soldering a fitting on with the desired thread. If you can silver solder, that will be cheaper, but not cheap. The silver solder is rather pricey, and you'd be best off getting a SS silver soldering kit with a small coil of silver solder and the right flux for SS.

CincySyrupPusher
03-13-2014, 07:47 PM
I got this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064OFGLO/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)and drilled a hole in the bottom of my preheater pot (with a stepper bit (http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html)from Harbor Freight). Brass 90º fitting (http://www.lowes.com/pd_73303-104-LFA130_0__?productId=3135131&Ntt=brass+compression&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dbrass%2Bcompression%26page%3D2&facetInfo=) from lowes. Like this one but reversed, 1/2 threaded to 3/8" compression.
*note* the whole thing is stainless, amazon picture shows brass nut, but mine came stainless.

You want to avoid dripping because it splashes. Burning sap for X hrs will be messy. Get the exit as close to the pan as possible or make sure the water stream is perfectly smooth to avoid splashing. I had to extend mine from what you see in picture with a piece of 5/16 drop tube.

If your setup is higher than eye level, might want to consider putting in a sight glass. Easy with a 3/8" tee from Lowes and some $.22/ft clear 3/8" OD tubing.

maple flats
03-13-2014, 07:56 PM
You may find you have too much copper in contact with the stack. It may boil in the preheater. If that proves to be the case, just remove a couple of coils and try again, repeat as necessary.
One idea you may want to explore, look up a peheater built by Johnny Cuervo. He made one that can be regulated as needed. Just find him in the member list and then go to his pictures.

CincySyrupPusher
03-14-2014, 07:28 AM
You may find you have too much copper in contact with the stack. It may boil in the preheater. If that proves to be the case, just remove a couple of coils and try again, repeat as necessary.
One idea you may want to explore, look up a peheater built by Johnny Cuervo. He made one that can be regulated as needed. Just find him in the member list and then go to his pictures.

Not at all.

If anything, I don't have enough coil.

That's 42' of coil and when fully operational, the exit temp is not high enough (I can still touch it). If I close the valve, it will boil within minutes, but only if it's stopped.

Mine can be regulated infinitely.