PDA

View Full Version : You Just Never Know?

hodorskib
03-12-2014, 08:38 PM
After 15 years of making syrup and tapping the same trees, which are in a local state forest, I have never had a problem with anyone or anything messing with my taps. However, this year has been somewhat of a battle. After trying out sap bags last year on 40 of my taps I decided to convert all 70 this year. Well, it seems that the squirrels have decided that they are good toys and have been tearing up the bottoms of several of them. Not too big of a deal I have found that Gorilla Tape works really well at patching up these holes and I think they don't like the smell because after I patch a bag they seem to leave it alone. Today was a different story. I got to the bottom of my stand and found the last four bags were completely destroyed - 3 had been slashed open and were laying on the ground and one was nowhere to be found. At first I thought maybe the squirrels had gone crazy or some kids decided to beat them with sticks then I started looking around for any kind of prints. I still have a good foot of snow on the ground. Too my surprise I found a set of very large bear tracks - actually about the size of my hand. The funny part was that the bear actually took one of the bags with the holder and walked off with it. I couldn't find it anywhere and since I collect after dinner I really didn't want to go to deep into the woods. That bear must be desperate since my trees are only running 1.5% :rolleyes: I guess I have to carry my bear spray with me and a really big light. I will be putting out some trail cameras maybe I can get some pics of it nosing around?

happy thoughts
03-12-2014, 08:44 PM
Maybe it wasn't a bear but a baby squatch??? :lol: Be sure to post them if you get some pictures,