PDA

View Full Version : Glass Pie Plate For Viewing Our Arch Fire ???

TerryEspo
03-12-2014, 07:48 PM
Well, I heard about it today and knew I had to post it here to get opinions.

I was telling my friend about my new homemade arch and why I insulated the door as not to warp. Talking about the door he tells me people have used glass Pyrex Pie Plates as a window in their doors in ice shack wood stoves.

He explained it takes a bit to install, trace and cut, bracket to hold in place, insulate edges for air tight , etc.

I am done my door on my arch but love the idea and maybe will play with it for next year, depending what I hear from all, here at Maple Trader.

Has anyone heard of this or actually tried it ?

Looking forward to what others have to say.

Thanks

Jerome
03-12-2014, 07:53 PM
I had a Pyrex casserole shatter in my hands because I took it off a hot element, I would worry of it going from a very hot fire then into cold shack air.

markct
03-12-2014, 08:01 PM
A woodstove is a much more tame fire than an evaporator. I dont think it will hold up. My arch door is insulated and the stainless washers that hold the insulation glow bright orange when running so thats pretty darn hot!

happy thoughts
03-12-2014, 08:07 PM
It sounds like a neat idea but pyrex pie plates aren't meant to be used on a stove top over a flame. I think that would be the same as installing it in a door of a firebox. I wouldn't trust it. There's also the shattering issue as jerome noted. Pyrex changed their glass formula and the new pyrex isn't as heat tolerant as the old stuff. The glass out of an old oven door might work better.

whity
03-13-2014, 07:43 AM
Pyrex glass isn't designed to take direct flames. Put it on a stove top and walk away. It will shatter. Wood stoves use ceramic glass in they're doors. I know I had to replace mine and asked why it was so expensive. 12x12 glass $125 for Hearthstone glass

backyard sugaring
03-13-2014, 10:07 PM
I had a Pyrex bowl explode in my kitchen. My wife took it out of the oven and set it on top of the stove and walked away. I heard this God awful noise the glass just shattered in to a thousand little pieces some of them into my back. It burned holes into our floor. Please don't I beg you. I bought a high temperture piece of glass for my oil fired evaporator. Good Luck Lee

TerryEspo
03-14-2014, 07:41 AM
You are all correct, Thanks.

I actually took a Pyrex plate and read the writing on it. It says not for stove top or flame.

The guy that told me about using it for an arch door is obviously wrong.

Thanks everyone.