PDA

View Full Version : Sap Discoloration

brikel
03-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Here is a question for everyone... this is my second year collecting and boiling sap. I have had a good run the past several day, we collected yesterday morning and that was the last until I just went to check things out. I didn't expect anything due to the weather change here in PA. My hunch was right in that the sap came to a screeching halt. what I did notice is that the sap that did run which was not much was discolored (like water downed tea) what might be going on here?

farmerdon74
03-12-2014, 06:26 PM
To me it could be dirty tube,it will clear up the sap will clean it out, Or your buckets had some residue in them it will clear don't get worried. Blessing on your sap run this year. Don

happy thoughts
03-12-2014, 06:35 PM
Did it rain?

brikel
03-12-2014, 06:35 PM
I use gallon jugs to collect and empty them daily.

happy thoughts
03-12-2014, 07:15 PM
But did you have rain between the clear sap and when you noticed the discoloration?

A few hours east of you it rained all day here. There was little sap but one of my buckets had a few ounces of tea colored sap, I dumped it. The only times I have ever noticed brown or yellow discoloration has been when it has rained. It's possible water dripping down the tree trunk found it's way into your collection container. At least that's my theory. It should run clear again.

brikel
03-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Sorry Happy Thoughts I missed your first post....yes it did rain all day today. good point did not think about the rain discoloring the sap. I did empty any that discolored.

grimmreaper
03-12-2014, 08:08 PM
boy us sugar makers are never HAPPY !!!!!!!we hate it when it rains,it snows to much,its too cold ,and it never wants to warm up to make sap run!!!the weather we deal with sucks......cant we have a perfect season????

happy thoughts
03-12-2014, 08:39 PM
LOL grimmreaper. You have a point, there. Actually, with the right temps I like rain because the sap flows better due to the low pressure. But right now it's snowing like crazy! AGAIN! And it's so windy I'll be happy if the buckets don't blow off the trees and the chimney stays in one piece on my block arch. sigh.

Here's hoping this season can only get better!