PDA

View Full Version : keeping sap for a period of time

grimmreaper
03-12-2014, 03:35 PM
I want to hold sap for a day or two till the next warm up.what are the chances to spoil with temps of 30 degrees and below???????????????I always boil within 24hrs but the weather is not on my side..no sap in the evaporator and I don't want it to freeze up..

sugarman3
03-12-2014, 05:03 PM
I will say that with this weather,sap will more than likely freeze,although not completely if it's in a large tank ,even a 55 gallon barrel, it will keep easily till next warm up without a problem,i have keep it in 275 gal cage tanks for 2 weeks as long as temp were around 32 degrees

markct
03-12-2014, 05:11 PM
They are calling for a low of 8 deg tomorrow night so I have little fear in holding my sap till sat that I collected today. Below 40 deg sap holds pretty well. On the flip side the sap I collected from yesterday when I was upper 50s looked pretty cloudy and had a slight smell to it when I looked in the main storage tank, I wasn't able to boil it today or yesterday as I been running a fever etc, so dumped that out and rinsed the tank so it didn't spoil the new sap that I put in today.

Galena
03-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Last year at the end of the run, I picked up some leftover sap, I think 16 gallons, from a fellow MT'er. He notified me on the Tuesday about sap he had collected on the previous Saturday. I believe I went down Wednesday and got it, and stashed it in what were then melting snowbanks. The snow kept the sap nice and cold and when I got around to starting to boil it Thursday, it was still good. Made a very nice 7th batch out of it.

grimmreaper
03-12-2014, 08:02 PM
looks good to keep for a day or two,but now I have to babysit it and keep it from freezing......its in a insulated 625 gal bulk tank with a heat tape on the valve

markct
03-12-2014, 08:07 PM
I never worry about it freezing. The ice chunks keep the sap cold and rarely last more than a couple days when new sap runs in