PDA

View Full Version : Nice cold nights coming should keep us going for a while

markct
03-12-2014, 02:59 PM
I see both tomorrow night and one night next week will be in the single digits, this should help keep the buds tight for a good while longer! Of course just my luck yesterday was feeling crappy, have a fever and headache, so stayed home from work today. Gota go pump sap tanks out today and hope it all fits in my 1650 gal storage tank, atleast with the cold im pretty confident it will keep till the weekend when I feel better and have more time to boil, run it thru the ro Friday night and boil it sat

DaveB
03-12-2014, 03:18 PM
Yeah, looks like many ideal days in the next few weeks. Looking back on my records, it's been a while since we've had temps near zero after today so that's gonna help. Lack of deep snow cover and warming ground temps may not, but I agree - if temps stay cool, we should be running for a while.

I've mentioned before that I'm a meteorologist so I watch these things kind of close and one of the models that I watch is the American GFS and while not always perfect, it can give you an indication of things to come. Here's a meteogram for Bradley airport and you can add or subtract a few degrees off these temps depending how you normally run and it can give you an indication of temps to come:

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=Kbdl

Either way though, we get what we get so enjoy if it's good and take advantage of the downtime if that's what you have!

markct
03-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Here we still have good snow cover about 6 inches or more most places and no frost in the ground. I had to bury a goat that died last weekend and thought I would have to rip thru a few inches of frost atleast but found none so that's good for us as the roots stay warm and can get the water they need. Im still optimistic for a good season as the days it does flow have been great so far.

seacoastCT
03-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Collected 2 gallons of sap from 8 taps today in eastern New London county. Ambient temp 49 deg F, elevation about 250 ft above sea level. Almost no snow on the ground. Not sure if the trees are reds or sugars.

DaveB
03-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Here we still have good snow cover about 6 inches or more most places and no frost in the ground. I had to bury a goat that died last weekend and thought I would have to rip thru a few inches of frost atleast but found none so that's good for us as the roots stay warm and can get the water they need. Im still optimistic for a good season as the days it does flow have been great so far.

We have about 4-8" of snow on the ground on average here. I think we have more frozen ground here because of the all the mud - it's the worst I've seen in years. The melting snow has no place to go!

hodorskib
03-12-2014, 08:40 PM
The forecast looks good but I found several sugar moths in my bags today. Usually is not a good sign. Hopefully some single digit temps will send them back into hiding for awhile.