PDA

View Full Version : Selling Syrup

BranchHillMaple
03-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Not sure if this is the right part of the forum for this or not but anyways here it goes, this is my first year making syrup, and im on pace to make about 20 gallons well my question is if I give away 7 gallons lets say and sell the other 13 to various people is there anything i have to do with the state of vermont or anything. The only reason i ask is because my plan in the future is to make around 75 gallons a year and most of it I want to sell. So any help on this would be greatly appreciated thanks

wiam
03-12-2014, 02:42 PM
At this time you don't have to do anything with the state to retail maple. It must be labeled with proper grade and producer name and address.

BranchHillMaple
03-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Alright thanks

markct
03-12-2014, 05:07 PM
You are supposed to register with the FDA at the federal level tho.

Michael Greer
03-12-2014, 06:07 PM
But for thirteen gallons.....just sell it.

markct
03-12-2014, 06:51 PM
I agree for that volume I doubt they would ever come after you, I just mentioned it since he asked the question, and is looking to expand.

BranchHillMaple
03-13-2014, 08:22 AM
From the little research ive done on the FDA thing is that anyone selling syrup to the public is supposed to register with the FDA under some new law, but from the looks its free to do and its basically a bunch of guild lines for processing a packaging syrup in a clean environment. Just another way for the government to try to know what your doing at all times

happy thoughts
03-13-2014, 08:55 AM
Just another way for the government to try to know what your doing at all times

Or a way to find why kids and old folks are dying after eating spinach and cantaloupe.

Sugar-me-Timbers
03-13-2014, 11:07 AM
I haven't heard of any spinach deaths in my area. When I sell my syrup, the purchaser knows my name and address. I don't want the government in all my affairs, I don't think anyone does?

happy thoughts
03-13-2014, 11:25 AM
But your food product is not just your affair but the affair of every consumer. Though maple syrup is a low risk food that is probably not the best poster child for increased safety vigilance, the fact that food borne illness is costly and possibly deadly is undeniable - even in Ohio :). I welcome government oversight. The alternative is to adopt the Chinese model and just turn a blind eye to it all. I'd like to think we're better than that. You also have to keep in mind that many of these food safety regs are a direct result of 9/11 and the desire to protect the US food supply from bioterrorism.

Sugar-me-Timbers
03-13-2014, 11:40 AM
If I adhere to all the Maple Trader "suggestions and advice", I need an over paid over compensated and detached Government employee to tell me I am OK. Don't all the meat producers go with Gov. Oversight. Yet people get sickened by meat. Haven't heard of bad syrup making anyone sick. Because I am not you, I can' t be trusted, I am in need of a a baby sitter. I care about people, I believe most people that do syrup do, hence they would be better "police" of their product than a income/retirement generating entity.

happy thoughts
03-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Haven't heard of bad syrup making anyone sick.

And you probably never will because maple syrup is a low risk food. I am not trying to argue with you and agree with you to some extent as does the FDA. Small producers are not major players in food contamination Still the fact remains that our food supply is vulnerable on many levels especially as agriculture becomes big business vested in the hands of a few large players.

markct
03-13-2014, 12:16 PM
There have been cases of people becoming very sick from bad syrup altho usualy isolated incidents luckly, and from what I have heard generaly traced back to ro wash chemicals making it into the syrup but there are various ways it can happen.

markct
03-13-2014, 12:19 PM
If I adhere to all the Maple Trader "suggestions and advice", I need an over paid over compensated and detached Government employee to tell me I am OK. Don't all the meat producers go with Gov. Oversight. Yet people get sickened by meat. Haven't heard of bad syrup making anyone sick. Because I am not you, I can' t be trusted, I am in need of a a baby sitter. I care about people, I believe most people that do syrup do, hence they would be better "police" of their product than a income/retirement generating entity.

Well we are just referencing the law, its not our opinion, weather you choose to follow that or not is your own choice

Sugar-me-Timbers
03-13-2014, 12:31 PM
Thank you for your very convenient answer. I have no choice but to follow the law. I will not sully the maple trader member name.

Sugar-me-Timbers
03-13-2014, 12:54 PM
Sorry,
where the FDA is involved, I get concerned.
I like to learn about how to make syrup. If the gov is involved it does not always turn out better. Nothing more from me on this. Again, I apologies, no harm was ever intended

Michael Greer
03-13-2014, 03:53 PM
Can't never be too careful with them dang terrorists...of course if they rounded up all the suspicious lookin', bearded guys, creepin' around in the woods....there wouldn't be any syrup at all.

DoubleBrookMaple
03-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Hey Joe...

Some (a "dealer", or "processor") are required to have a state licence in Vermont.

For the facts on what is required by the state you can use this for reference. Straight off the state website..
Some good government guidelines that are called laws.
There are two publications that need to be referenced, CVR 20-011-002, the "Maple Syrup Rules", and the State statutes, or Title 6. CH 32. I have links below for both of them. They reference each other, or at least one does the other, I cannot remember.
http://agriculture.vermont.gov/food_safety_consumer_protection/consumer_protection/commodity_inspection/maple_syrup
http://agriculture.vermont.gov/sites/ag/files/pdf/consumer_protection/Maple_Regulations_Final.pdf
http://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/fullchapter.cfm?Title=06&Chapter=032

No offense intended, but do not take anyone's word off the internet. Read and know the regulations, and you will not be the subject of "government intervention".

I have read it through more than once. It really is not very long. We are fortunate to live in a state without a lot of excessive regulation.
Another note. I have seen a lot of syrup out there without proper labeling, and wondered if the contents was as it was labeled. Specifically, "The name, address, and zip code". You would think someone could at least get that right.

Of worthy note:
Read the definitions.
A "dealer" (buying over 1000gal) or "processor"(making over 2500gal) is required to have a licence issued by the "secretary". You and I do not.

maple flats
03-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Can't never be too careful with them dang terrorists...of course if they rounded up all the suspicious lookin', bearded guys, creepin' around in the woods....there wouldn't be any syrup at all.
Wow, that caught me for sure. Why are beards a threat?