PDA

View Full Version : Maple Sunday

Cider Hill Maple Farm
03-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Can we postpone Maple Sunday until June ????? :o 12" to 20" of snow today into tommorow with windchill temps. in the single didgits.:mad:

Best to All!!

West Sumner Sugar
03-12-2014, 03:40 PM
We still have time, but I know what you are saying. We usually sell a fair amount of syrup on Maple Sunday and im not even sure we will have any at this point. Hoping for some warm days and cold night in the coming week.

western mainer
03-12-2014, 05:55 PM
And after having mud the last few years we had a load of crushed stone brought up in the fall. Well this year snow and more snow and the way it's going I'll have very little syrup to sell on the 23rd.
Brian

abbott
03-12-2014, 06:48 PM
And after having mud the last few years we had a load of crushed stone brought up in the fall. Well this year snow and more snow and the way it's going I'll have very little syrup to sell on the 23rd.
Brian

Good call on the crushed stone, Brian. Just one load?

JuniperHillSugar
03-13-2014, 10:02 AM
I hope the weather improves, we have lots to do to get ready. Mud may be replaced by ice at my place. Little new snow here in Bowdoin, so I can still see my buckets. Good luck.

Revi
03-16-2014, 05:26 PM
We have a lot of snow up at our sugarhouse. The deepest I have ever seen. We stomped down the snow around the mainlines yesterday, and today the snow is hard as a rock where we walked with the snowshoes. If you fall off the trail you sink in up to your neck, but it does make it a little easier to get around as long as you stay on the trail!

I don't think we'll have a lot of product by Maple Sunday, but we may have some, since we boiled a bit today.

K.I. Joe
03-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Have gotten very little sap yet, still at least 3 feet of snow in the woods and the trees just arent giving it up

Revi
03-18-2014, 09:22 AM
It seems like we are holding on to real winter right up to the end of it this year. It was 4 below last night at my house. We are going to need some warmer temps to make the sap flow. Everyone keeps asking me if the sap is flowing. I reply that you need liquid water at least before the sap flows.

western mainer
03-18-2014, 05:08 PM
We are about ready for Sunday. When out and shoveled out the lines today, lots of snow. We are ahead of last year in sap flow, we will be well in to April this year and I can see a good year for us.
Brian

Revi
03-18-2014, 08:13 PM
I was talking to a big sugarmaker and he says that we might get a season yet, but the time is getting short to make it happen.