PDA

View Full Version : Another Freezing sap question

MillbrookMaple
03-12-2014, 05:42 AM
We always process our sap the same day but it looks like it is going to be a bunch of days before we really get much of a run again.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Grant+Mills&state=NY&site=BGM&textField1=42.0842&textField2=-74.6808&e=0#.UyA2WfldWFU

Maybe a little run saturday but I think it won't thaw enough to clear the lines. I would guess we are going to have about 1000-1250 gallons in a 2100 gallon tank and the same in a 1500 gallon tank. It will keep through the cold but I am a little afraid of making giant ice cubes and I won't be able to get any of it out when the next run happens. What is everyone's thoughts. This is our first run of the season. We would set the RO up and start up the evaporator to process this. Then I expect the RO to sit for a week till the next run. It is in my basement near the wood stove so it sits in 80-90 degree temps during cold spells. Every time in the past when it has sat that long I had to flush it with about 200 gallons of sap to get the funk out of it or it makes the syrup taste a little off. This is why I would rather wait until the next run. Anyone want to offer their 2 cents?

Walling's Maple Syrup
03-12-2014, 07:30 AM
I would move the ro. That is too warm for it. At those temps. bacteria builds fast through the whole system, even once you are using it on a consistent basis. I like to keep my ro room between 40-45 and flush it with water every 4 days or so if I haven't gotten any sap. As far as the sap goes, I would probably boil it off so you didn't have that much ice in the tanks.
Neil

MillbrookMaple
03-13-2014, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately it is the only place we have to keep it that has heat. We decided to run it an boil last night. Figured that 2000 gallons of sap was worth getting everything set up.

noreast maple
03-13-2014, 09:55 PM
Can you build a insulated box around it so it dont get so warm? just a thought. build big enough so you can work it comfortably.