PDA

View Full Version : Two days straight above freezing,,no sap?

TerryEspo
03-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Not in a panic, enjoying more time to prepare, but no sap again today. Yesterday and today went above freezing. I drilled two test hole each day, no sap

Is that because the trees are still frozen inside and need a few more days to thaw?

Thanks

PerryW
03-11-2014, 04:44 PM
that's my theory. I figure it will take three 50 degree days before anything runs besides nuisance sap.

wnybassman
03-11-2014, 05:41 PM
I am having pretty dismal runs here as well even though we had our second day in a row in the upper 40's and a night above freezing. Some of of the small trees have even stopped dripping as if were warm for several days. I still have several inches of very slushy snow in the woods, but under that the ground is still hard as a rock. Even some ground that has bared off the last couple days it is very hard under the leaves yet. I think that frozen ground has something to do with it. I've never had great runs until the snow and frost is gone.

crawflyer
03-11-2014, 05:43 PM
we have frost down to at least 27" here. talked to a backhoe operator..that's what he found. a good rain would help...our snow melt has been pretty much without rain

PerryW
03-11-2014, 05:48 PM
If the dirt roads are muddy then it's too cold for a sap run.

Ausable
03-11-2014, 06:55 PM
Terry - I am experiencing the same thing and I'm about 125 miles South of You. Look out when it finally does happen.

theguywiththename
03-11-2014, 07:05 PM
I've got sap the past 2 days on both gravity and buckets. We have a really deep frost close to 4' in just open fields and over 6 in towns

1ruralmailman
03-11-2014, 08:24 PM
we are between 4 and 5 feet deep on frost here in chenango county.figure it will take a week of fifty,and some rain to get things moving here.not in the cards right now,we are waiting on another foot of snow,and then two more days below zero.we will just have to keep waiting.

Waynehere
03-12-2014, 07:16 AM
Yep, the frost in the ground prevents water from getting to the roots, so the trees can't pull in any more ground water for the sap to run. The little sap you are getting now is from what was in the ground below the frost. The frost is making most of the run off pool and just that, run off. Have to be patient and wait for the frost-line to thaw. I even had a water hydrant freeze on me Friday night from the frost line being so deep. Now I found the pipe split and is leaking in the ground. Going to be a fun project this summer, as the hydrant is located under my 500 gallons storage tank next to the shack. Grr...

Cabin
03-12-2014, 07:29 AM
Not in a panic, enjoying more time to prepare, but no sap again today. Yesterday and today went above freezing. I drilled two test hole each day, no sap

Is that because the trees are still frozen inside and need a few more days to thaw?

Thanks

Was it below freezing during the nights? I was starting to get a good run over the weekend but Sunday and Monday nights were above freezing and all the trees shut down. Had to do a short boil to reduce what sap I had to get it to hold over the warm spell.

optionguru
03-12-2014, 09:17 AM
I'm in Northern NH and as PerryW says I'm just getting nuisance sap.