PDA

View Full Version : Problems with cone filter

Western MD Mapler
03-11-2014, 09:07 AM
I don't know what in the world happened. Last year our syrup was fantastic and tasted great. This year the syrup taste great in the evaporator but after its filtered and bottled it has a funny taste almost like a moldy taste to it. We pour off into a cone felt filter with no pre-filter. After it has passed through we heat it back up in a coffee urn and bottle into plastic jugs. We wash our felt filter in boiling water and hang it over the back part of the evaporator until we get ready to pour off. My grandfather did it the same way and we don't recall having this issue. Any and all suggestions are appreciated as always

happy thoughts
03-11-2014, 09:26 AM
If the filter isn't new this year then my money is on a moldy filter- possibly got damp in storage or wasn't put away completely dry. Just a thought but those silica gel packs that come with electronics and shoes might be worth saving if you can get your hands on some. Store them with the filter in the off season.

Run Forest Run!
03-11-2014, 09:28 AM
In an effort to narrow down the source of the off-taste, what about if you boiled some water and ran it through the filter. Then taste the water that has come through the filter. If the moldy taste is in the water then you'd know for sure that the issue is your filter.

Western MD Mapler
03-11-2014, 10:00 AM
If it is my cone filter any suggestions on what I could use temporarily. I have several pre-filters. Would that along with coffee filters work or no. I am ordering two new felt filters today but still have 100 gallons of sap to boil down. Also is synthetic better than wool. We have always used wool.

Kyle M
03-11-2014, 10:22 AM
NOT TO set your post off track but do you have any problems getting the syrup through your cone filter, I feel like I get about a quart through before it slows to a drip. I do use one pre filter maybe i need to doulbe them up?

Pibster
03-11-2014, 10:25 AM
I always use 4-5 prefilters, removing one at a time when the flow slows down.

Kyle M
03-11-2014, 10:43 AM
i cant find a definitive ansewer but are you supposed to wet the filter before puring your syrup through

psparr
03-11-2014, 10:50 AM
i cant find a definitive ansewer but are you supposed to wet the filter before puring your syrup through
Yes. Hang it over your evaporator to get it damp and warm, not wet or you could throw off your density. Also try to keep everything warm.

psparr
03-11-2014, 10:51 AM
If it is my cone filter any suggestions on what I could use temporarily. I have several pre-filters. Would that along with coffee filters work or no. I am ordering two new felt filters today but still have 100 gallons of sap to boil down. Also is synthetic better than wool. We have always used wool. Boil down to almost and save it till your filters come.

DaveB
03-12-2014, 10:28 AM
I buy a new filter every year along with pre-filters. The cost is minimal but helps keep the quality up. I soak the filter first in boiling sap to make it damp, then hang it in my filter tank along with several pre-filters. I then remove the pre-filters as they get clogged. I also run my syrup through a filter press but I find that the syrup filters pretty well this way.