PDA

View Full Version : Is a Sugarmaker Ever Satisfied?

maplestudent
03-11-2014, 08:44 AM
It doesn't seem to matter, whether one boils on a turkey fryer, a barrel evaporator, a block arch, oil drum arch, a half pint, a 2x6, or a 3x10.....whether one collects sap with jugs, buckets, or tubing......whether one has vacuum or an RO.....one thing seems to be constant: that sugarmakers are not just maintaining their setup, we are always striving for more. It kind of parallels the quest for "one more tree".

So I ask: Is a sugarmaker ever satisfied, or at peace with, his/her setup?

rayi
03-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Nope we are anal retentive and thats a good thing when your making a food product that everyone can see and judge

Quagmire33
03-11-2014, 08:56 AM
I find myself driving down the road looking for new trees to tap. Wondering if that person would let me tap their trees. Always on the perpetual hunt for more trees.

COMSTOCK MAPLES
03-11-2014, 10:06 AM
yes, I believe that some folks are generally satisfied with there setup. But most are striving to improve and I believe that is a good thing

68bird
03-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Always room for improvement! So the answer to your question( in my opinion) is NO!!!

Wells maple
03-11-2014, 01:45 PM
I just started and have not boiled an Oz. Of sap yet and we keep on thinking how we can make our evaporator better. It's good for the brain keeps it moving!

jbravo54
03-11-2014, 02:00 PM
Sounds like there should be a place for us to go...SAP anonymous. Yet another disease of MORE.

Happy sappin everyone.

Bruce L
03-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Wondering if all improvements will ever be done that I am satisfied with no extra work in the bush.Highly unlikely

Sugarmaker
03-11-2014, 09:52 PM
Most of the time I am OK but continue to make small improvements anywhere we can.
Regards,
Chris

Bentley Wood Maple
03-12-2014, 05:10 AM
This is first year I haven't been excited about sugaring. Appt with surgeon this am to schedule my knee repair. That said, keep it fun. If you get so big it seems like just another job then what is the point?

lew
03-12-2014, 07:25 AM
For myself, I have to say that I am absolutely satisfied with my operation as it stands this year. I will also be satisfied next year when I make my improvements that I am thinking about this year.

Cabin
03-12-2014, 07:43 AM
It sounds like a sugar maker is only satisfied at their funeral. Well there are worse things to get hooked on.

maplestudent
03-14-2014, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the responses.

It seems that a sugarmaker can be content with what she/he has achieved this year while at the same time still having the desire to achieve more next year.

lew
03-14-2014, 09:21 AM
Cabin, I wonder if a sugarmakers wife is satisfied at the auction after his funeral?

Cabin
03-14-2014, 09:31 AM
Cabin, I wonder if a sugarmakers wife is satisfied at the auction after his funeral?

I think that is a totaly different question. Is a sugar makers spouse EVER satisfied?:lol:

regor0
03-14-2014, 10:56 AM
To quote somebody on here and I can't remember who. But he said " My biggest fear is my wife selling all my sugaring equipment for what I told her I paid for it!":lol:

Ausable
03-14-2014, 12:29 PM
It doesn't seem to matter, whether one boils on a turkey fryer, a barrel evaporator, a block arch, oil drum arch, a half pint, a 2x6, or a 3x10.....whether one collects sap with jugs, buckets, or tubing......whether one has vacuum or an RO.....one thing seems to be constant: that sugarmakers are not just maintaining their setup, we are always striving for more. It kind of parallels the quest for "one more tree".

So I ask: Is a sugarmaker ever satisfied, or at peace with, his/her setup?

LOL - A very good question - I'm now 73 and still making maple syrup and mostly by myself. I have only 55 trees to tap of my own and am now lucky I can handle that. One of my Sons and some Grandsons will haul up several hundred gallons of sap for me to boil down if they have a slow work year and time to tap. So Yep! I now have to be satisfied and know my limitations. Hey - I still look at all the equipment for sale on Web Sites and dream a little and always spotting maples to tap. It is good to see more new people get into it every year. Whether it is done on a small scale as a hobby - like I do. Or You have a massive commercial operation. lol We all dream and we all make maple syrup. ----Mike----

Clinkis
03-14-2014, 12:38 PM
To quote somebody on here and I can't remember who. But he said " My biggest fear is my wife selling all my sugaring equipment for what I told her I paid for it!":lol:
Lol! SO TRUE! Thank god we have separate bank accounts or my wife would boil me if she knew how much I have spent on this stuff over the years!

DoubleBrookMaple
03-14-2014, 12:51 PM
I'm with you..

I wound up trashing (actually, I still have it) everything I did last year to make 6 gallons. That will actually probably be my most satisfying days. Block arch, outdoors, hauling buckets up and down hill, and across three streams on the mountainside. I had a hernia operation after the season to prove it! I went from not being able to pick a sugar maple, to spotting one at a glance by bark. I love nature, and the wilderness. Satisfied? I better be. But, not completely. This has been a great outlet for my OCD

My satisfaction is now in making it easy, and relaxedly enjoyable, and just look forward to each year hereafter with little improvements.

Spolcik
03-14-2014, 12:55 PM
I told myself last year after buying a new pan that i was done spending money on this stuff. That held true intill i started getting stuff ready for this year now $700 later I guess i lied to myself (and my wife). To go along with the quote she thinks it was $200! LOL

Russell Lampron
03-14-2014, 08:26 PM
There is always one more tree that can be tapped and bigger and better equipment to process the sap. I have been content to keep my tap count at 800 while I find the money to expand. I just added on to the sugar house to make boiling and processing easier. Now I need a bigger RO!!! I have enough trees to double my tap count but not enough money for the bigger RO or tubing. I am satisfied with what I have now but want more........

adk1
03-14-2014, 10:07 PM
Nah kind of like having sex the more u get it the more u want it....

maplestudent
03-17-2014, 07:20 AM
LOL - A very good question - I'm now 73 and still making maple syrup and mostly by myself. I have only 55 trees to tap of my own and am now lucky I can handle that. One of my Sons and some Grandsons will haul up several hundred gallons of sap for me to boil down if they have a slow work year and time to tap. So Yep! I now have to be satisfied and know my limitations. Hey - I still look at all the equipment for sale on Web Sites and dream a little and always spotting maples to tap. It is good to see more new people get into it every year. Whether it is done on a small scale as a hobby - like I do. Or You have a massive commercial operation. lol We all dream and we all make maple syrup. ----Mike----

Ausable.....every time I read your post, I smile. Thanks for brightening my day!