PDA

View Full Version : first time running RO with new membrane

Wanabe1972
03-11-2014, 08:39 AM
I am starting my RO for the first time and the membrane said to flush for twice the rated through put for 1 hour so roughly 200 gallons. When I do this do I use just the feed pump and run the concntrate needle valve wide open or tighten the needle valve down to run at working pressure? Thanks Jeff

Clinkis
03-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Typically when you flush any RO you want the maximum flow rate across the membrane to flush out any contamination which means you want your needle valve wide open.

Wanabe1972
03-12-2014, 08:14 AM
Ok so even with the needle valve wide open it will still put water through the permeate side? I'm going to wait till Fri cause its going to be 9 below Thursday night.

wiam
03-12-2014, 09:21 AM
Ok so even with the needle valve wide open it will still put water through the permeate side? I'm going to wait till Fri cause its going to be 9 below Thursday night.

Yes there will be some. Your basically flushing the crud off surface of the high pressure side.

bowhunter
03-12-2014, 03:40 PM
I have a new RO this year and have been experimenting with with the permeate flush. I have to flush for at least 30 minutes to get the recovery back and I get permeate even at 50 psi. I try to flush enough to get the performance back to the previous permeate flush.