PDA

View Full Version : Rope gasket

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-23-2006, 08:06 PM
I think some of you had mentioned you used rope gasket between the pans and the arch rail. Just wondering what size you use and do you cement/glue it to the rail or just lay it between pans and rail??

Fred Henderson
12-23-2006, 08:15 PM
Brandon, I bought 1/4"x2" from the Maple Guys and just laid it on the rail. They also have 1/8"x2"

ibby458
12-24-2006, 04:56 AM
I used 3/8 rope gasket on the last flat pan evaporator that I used. I just laid it on the top rail and it sealed fine, even with forced draft.

Sugarmaker
12-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Brandon,
Merry Christmas!
I have used rope gasket from local wood stove outlet. 3/4 dia or 1 inch dia?
I used the heavier stuff because my pans and Arch are not very straight and or level, so I need to do some shimming near the area where the pans come together. Anyway I have glued it to the rails and also just tucked it under the pans and pushed it in with a putty knife or screw driver. Both options worked well. If I have to remove the pans I usually try to get new gasket. Wouldn't boil with out it unless I had a very good flat arch and close fitting pans. I think it helps keep some heat in the firebox that could be lost and with the blower seals up and cracks that might allow ash to blow out.

Chris