PDA

View Full Version : You guys still getting sap flow

treeguy
03-10-2014, 11:05 PM
Well it seems my trees should be thawed but i am not getting a run. A few drips but not much sap. Is it over :cry:

I wonder if the pressure just is not right or what. I am thinking of pulling the taps and being done which is OK as i need to get on to other things anyway.

WESTMAPLES
03-10-2014, 11:16 PM
im in mass and where dealing with the same conditions, wait it out it will come. this year is allover the place

Sugar
03-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Well it seems my trees should be thawed but i am not getting a run. A few drips but not much sap. Is it over :cry:

I wonder if the pressure just is not right or what. I am thinking of pulling the taps and being done which is OK as i need to get on to other things anyway.

We collected 140 gallons yesterday. I am waiting until after the next days freeze, then pulling taps. I think sometimes taps, close due to infection..If you have enough trees, you could move some taps and see what you get.

Sugar
03-11-2014, 10:18 PM
We collected 140 gallons yesterday. I am waiting until after the next days freeze, then pulling taps. I think sometimes taps, close due to infection..If you have enough trees, you could move some taps and see what you get.

We checked our trees this afternoon. Some were still dripping. We could have collected about 30 gallons, but the sap was cloudy/yellow. I think it was simply too hot. The sap still dripping from the trees appeared clear, but what was collecting in the bags, was warm. We finished our 140 gallons, collected yesterday, and the syrup is lovely. We will see what happens after tomorrow's 20 degree low. We did dump every dribble out of our bags, so that if we get another run, we won't have any sour or bad sap to contaminate the fresh.

kiteflyingeek
03-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Same thing here in SW Indiana -- just west of Owensboro, KY. It hit 70*F here so I know all the buckets are turning yellow. I'm planning to get what I can from my 65 taps after Wednesday's 20*F low and then pull taps and shut it down. Almost no freeze for a week after this 20*F low according to the forecast so that's why I'm planning to shut it down.

--andrew

treeguy
03-12-2014, 12:26 AM
Ok thanks..

I was thinking they might of closed but lots of them had a slow drip..so i think its just the pressure.

Tomorrow nights cold snap should tell the tale.

treeguy
03-12-2014, 12:27 AM

How many taps you running?

140 gallons seems like a great run unless you have lots of taps i guess.

When we did get a run its was nothing for a sap sack to overflow in one night maybe 2.5 gallons or so on my best taps..

nace
03-12-2014, 07:00 AM
My 239 taps had slowed down. I did find a leak courtesy of a tree rat and after fixing that the releaser would dump around 6 gallons an hour. No buds opening yet so I will try to hold out through the freeze on the 19th. Boiled down the 250 gallons in the tank and finished another three gallons.

Sugar
03-12-2014, 09:25 AM
How many taps you running?

140 gallons seems like a great run unless you have lots of taps i guess.

When we did get a run its was nothing for a sap sack to overflow in one night maybe 2.5 gallons or so on my best taps..

This was a great run, and almost all the bags had 4 gallons...So either they quit or they were going full-speed. I am guessing, since many of our 70 taps had quit....I think we collected about 35-40. I am anxious to see what tale the trees have tomorrow.

Sugar
03-12-2014, 09:27 AM
My 239 taps had slowed down. I did find a leak courtesy of a tree rat and after fixing that the releaser would dump around 6 gallons an hour. No buds opening yet so I will try to hold out through the freeze on the 19th. Boiled down the 250 gallons in the tank and finished another three gallons.

We have been hoping your trees were giving and wanted to stop by and see how things are going! Maybe those trees will dump tomorrow. Good Luck!

nace
03-12-2014, 11:45 AM
I may boil Sunday or Monday cause I want a full tank as possible. Last night I quit adding wood after an hour and half and had to finish the near syrup with propane.

treeguy
03-12-2014, 08:51 PM
This was a great run, and almost all the bags had 4 gallons...So either they quit or they were going full-speed. I am guessing, since many of our 70 taps had quit....I think we collected about 35-40. I am anxious to see what tale the trees have tomorrow.

I am wondering how your getting 4 gallons out of one bag ( i read they are 4 gallon bags but i did not think it was possible to hold 4 gallons on a holder) Mine can be filled to the top and overflowing with maybe 2.5 gallons...you using the same blue sap bags i am?

At best maybe its i figure 3 gallons as it is tapered to the holder..i fill 5 gallon pails when i dump them so i have a measure on each tap or bag. But i wonder if it is because of my holders i made. You using homemade or bought holders?

Sugar
03-12-2014, 10:26 PM
I am wondering how your getting 4 gallons out of one bag ( i read they are 4 gallon bags but i did not think it was possible to hold 4 gallons on a holder) Mine can be filled to the top and overflowing with maybe 2.5 gallons...you using the same blue sap bags i am?

At best maybe its i figure 3 gallons as it is tapered to the holder..i fill 5 gallon pails when i dump them so i have a measure on each tap or bag. But i wonder if it is because of my holders i made. You using homemade or bought holders?

The bags aren't blue, and they are double sealed...We dump them into 2 gallon buckets, and if they are overflowing, we fill two buckets with one very full bag. I am using bought hangers. Maybe you roll your bags more up, at the top? We do clothespin the bags to the ring, so they don't pull out so easily, when full, but guess that doesn't make any difference in what they hold.

treeguy
03-16-2014, 12:40 PM
ok cool..i read the blue bags are 4 gallon but a taper and holder take away some capacity..

Were done..trees are not dripping and welcoming spring

maple flats
03-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Here, you guys further south are talking of ending the season, I still haven't had enough to have my first boil. Looks like this week will start things here. My first boil might be Wed.

KevinS
03-24-2014, 09:19 PM
Here, you guys further south are talking of ending the season, I still haven't had enough to have my first boil. Looks like this week will start things here. My first boil might be Wed.
This is pretty late for you guys to just get started isn't it?

bowhunter
03-25-2014, 07:01 AM
We're about done here in central Ohio. It's cold now, but the days aren't warm enough to get much flow. Probably get good flow on Thursday and maybe Sunday and then it warms up into April.

nace
03-25-2014, 08:25 AM
I got buddy sap now so that's done. Now I've just added a finishing room to the shack and need to finish the concentrate in the 40x12', on last years 2'x4' homemade rig.