PDA

View Full Version : If a plane falls while you are tapping can you hear it?

Jerome
03-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Apparently not.
While tapping on Saturday I saw a plane flying low without their engine going and as this is a common occurrence around here as this seems to be where the local flight school teaches stalling techniques I thought nothing of it. when I got back to the house I saw trucks parked at the end of my driveway on the road and that is not un common either as quite often there are coyote hunters around.
A bit later we saw two cop cars and two or three other cars on the side of the road as we made our way into town.
it was not until Sunday morning on my way to town that I saw a plane in the middle of the field across the road.

They puled it out later in the afternoon and loaded it on a truck.
I heard that no one was hurt so that is good but it is sure funny that I did not even notice and it was right behind me.

Run Forest Run!
03-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Jerome, I wonder if all of that deep snow cover we've all been complaining about cushioned the impact and saved some lives. There's the silver lining.

DrTimPerkins
03-10-2014, 06:20 PM
From the tail number it is an Evaktor Sportstar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evektor_SportStar (very similar to the plane I used to have) , a 2-seat, light-sport aircraft registered to Fliteworx Aviation Inc.

When things get real quiet (engine out) in a powered aircraft it's time to worry....and time to start looking around for a place to land They don't normally shut off the engine when practicing stalls....just throttle back. In any case, any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

Daves Maple Farm
03-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Learned after 12000 of time the only thing the prop does is keep the pilot cool. If you dont believe
me, watch how sweaty they get when it quits turning! lol:cool:

spud
03-10-2014, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=DrTimPerkins;

When things get real quiet (engine out) in a powered aircraft it's time to worry....and time to start looking around for a place to land They don't normally shut off the engine when practicing stalls....just throttle back. In any case, any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.[/QUOTE]

Oh I hear you Doc. We have run out of gas two times with the PA-18. Running out of gas can be scary but the thing that always concerned me the most was when we would hit tree tops while taking off. The belly of the plane was green.

Spud

Jerome
03-11-2014, 05:23 AM
if it had been last year they probably could have flown it out but with the two feet of snow it got jammed and damaged the landing gear.