PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Liner

optionguru
03-10-2014, 12:11 PM
I have a friend who can get me perfect Plastic drums that held Isopropyl Alcohol. I've read threads with different opinions on washing them and using them. I was wondering if you could line it with a contractor garbage bag or some other type of liner. The barrels are free and and nice and light when empty for handling.

happy thoughts
03-10-2014, 12:27 PM
There may be food grade trash liners out there but I wouldn't use any trash bag unless you know for certain sure it is food grade. Per their web site (http://www.glad.com/faq/) Glad trash bags are not recommended for food storage. And per this site (http://lancaster.unl.edu/food/ftsep04.htm), the FDA doesn't recommend the use of any trash liners for food storage, though the back link to the FDA page is a dead end.

Madsen Family
03-10-2014, 01:00 PM
You can get plastic 'barrel liners' from a honey supply place. They are a clear plastic bag used in steel drums to store/transport honey. Hope this helps.

antelope76
03-10-2014, 01:01 PM
I picked up some heavy duty barrel liners that were food grade. They are a little pricey but you can pick them up with about 10-15 gallons in them and they won't blow out. I had two 30 gallon galvanized garbage cans that I wanted to utilize for storage. I just popped these liners in and run my tubing right into it.

ryebrye
03-10-2014, 04:03 PM
I searched around for these a while ago. One place I found that will sell them in small quantities is McMaster-Carr - search for "drum liner" and they have various sizes and thicknesses available. I am pumping out my sap from a drum so I went with 4 mil - they also have 8 mil thickness available. I haven't put anything in the drum yet because I haven't had any big runs yet, so I can't say how well it works - but it did fit and was around $3 or $4 per liner.

Ryan

RollinsOrchards
03-14-2014, 10:15 PM
Uline is also a great place to get FDA approved plastic bags of all sizes. Of course a box of 50 might be a lifetime supply for you. . .