PDA

View Full Version : flat pan

Wells maple
03-10-2014, 10:04 AM
I'm working with one flat pan 2×4 on a homemade arch and was curious if people clean the bottom of the pan after a boil? And if so with what? Did a test run and the pan has some carbon??? Build up on the bottom and was not sure how it affects things? Thanks in advance.

optionguru
03-10-2014, 10:19 AM
I just lightly wire brush the bottom of my pans to get some of the crud off them.

wnybassman
03-10-2014, 01:14 PM
I use a kids plastic hoe to scrap crud off the bottom now and then between boils.

Wells maple
03-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Spolcik
03-13-2014, 12:26 PM
I'm working with one flat pan 2×4 on a homemade arch and was curious if people clean the bottom of the pan after a boil? And if so with what? Did a test run and the pan has some carbon??? Build up on the bottom and was not sure how it affects things? Thanks in advance.

Do you mean bottom where fire hits it or the inside of the pan where sap is? For the bottom underneath I have used dishsoap spread thick and let it dry before you use it. Works great black comes off with very little effort. The inside I use bar keepers friend for stubborn one but vinegar and hot water works for most everything.

Maplesapper
03-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Before you ever light a match. First- cover the underside of the pan with dish detergent

If you plan to take the pan off the arch, place a piece of stainless steel wool on the bottom.
Then place your orbital sander atop of the stainless steel wool as if it were the sanding pad.
Add hot water as you go, and your pan will gleam in 30 seconds.
Don't forget to cover the bottom of the pan in soap before you refire.

pyro
03-13-2014, 07:55 PM
What does the soap do? Wouldn't it just bake off under the heat of the fire?

Spolcik
03-13-2014, 09:02 PM
What does the soap do? Wouldn't it just bake off under the heat of the fire?

No, it keeps the soot from clinging to the pan makes it a lot easier to clean.

slammer3364
03-13-2014, 11:47 PM
I cleaned my flat pan with oven cleaner Worked Great

Cabin
03-14-2014, 07:14 AM
Well since I do not have an easy source of fresh water back in the woods when they call for rain I just set the inverted pans out. Seems the 'acid rain' does a real good job of cleaning the soot off the pans.