PDA

View Full Version : stack temp

KING MAPLE
03-10-2014, 07:01 AM
On a 2x6 heating with wood, I have installed a blower & I do have a internal temp gauge this year.
what stack temp should I maintain ?

lpakiz
03-10-2014, 07:52 AM
I try to hold 800. Any higher and sap jumps out of the pan.

VT_K9
03-10-2014, 08:16 AM
This is the first year having a thermometer on the stack to see what's happening there. Last year it got quite hot near the peak and a small fire started. It was quickly put out with sap.....this year we put a small addition on for the RO area and that will change the heat flow. The original sugar house is made with rough sawn hemlock from probably the 70's. We will be removing the wood in the area where the fire was and using concrete board to deflect the heat away from the other wood.

Mike

optionguru
03-10-2014, 08:38 AM
Not to hijack the thread but since you brought it up, I use one of those magnetic stack temp gauges that sticks on the outside of the stack and I place it about a foot up from the arch. I usually add wood when it drops to 400 and try to maintain 425 to 450. Is that too low?

adk1
03-10-2014, 10:22 AM
those are not nearly as accurate as the stemmed type temp probes so hard to say

Chicopee Sap Shack
03-10-2014, 10:30 AM
I too have some questions on stack temp. I am running air under fire and on my first boil ran the blower with the air as closed down as I could. With that being said I discolored the stainless base stack. This last boil I put a stack temp gauge in a a valve to reduce the air under fire more. I was heading over 1400 when I started cutting the air back to the point that I was loosing the flue pain boil at 1000. I started opening it and got up to a good boil at 1200. Is this about right or no?

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THCPrecision
03-10-2014, 11:07 AM
can you see thru the stack its so hot, how about flame and charcoal chunks coming out the top of the stack. I run a auf on a 2x6 sb lighting. Stack is also discolored after a year but I go by boil as long as the stack is not deforming or endangering walls or exposures i run hot never worried about temp just boil. I watch the front and back close. Just dont want to push all of your heat up the chimney, wood is a lot of work to do so I dont like to waste it. I went with the blower to save wood and run a reostat instead of gating the blower down. let the pan tell you what it wants. many say hotter and faster is better. Depends on exp and comfort level with your equip. yeah the SS stacks not as pretty gold but it still works and does not rust.