PDA

View Full Version : Leader Quick Seal Maineline Entrance

TheMapleMoose
03-10-2014, 06:02 AM
Just a few thoughts from a weekend of tubing installation. This was the first year we have tried Leaders new entrance fitting. I only used the 3/4" ones as that is what I have for main lines. They seemed to be relatively easy to install compared to the record fitting. Drilled a 5/16" hole in the main line and then inserted the gasket, then jammed the fitting onto the gasket and snapped the buckle, and used a one handed tool to slide the tubing on. It was a little hard to tell how far to install the tubing. I slid it on until it just touched the place where the fitting grows back to 5/16". Maye its a little too far on, but wanted to make sure it was completely over both barbs.
My father was a little concerned about using them because there is no way to tighten them if they leak like the records he uses but it seems to me like they were a very leak resistant seal. The buckle seemed a little cheap when we first opened the bag and I was a little worried about them breaking in the cold but I installed 130 of them and had no problems. Might be nice if they included a few spare gaskets in the bag in case one gets dropped in the snow. I havent checked the catalog but I'm assuming they can be bought separately.
All in all they seem like a good fitting so far.....time will tell when the vacuum turns on and the sap runs.

maplwrks
03-10-2014, 08:55 AM
And they only work on Leader Mainline!!

sapman
03-10-2014, 10:55 AM
I probably installed 70-80 of them. Been through a couple runs. So far so good.

MikeVT
04-01-2014, 08:04 AM
I too have about 25 of them on 3/4" and it went smoothly as far as installation, and I have walked the lines during the small sap flows and so far so good.
Today is our first 45 and sunny day so I may go out in the woods during this sap run to check them all out again. But I do agree with them seeming cheap and flimsy.

stewardsdairy
05-15-2014, 12:58 PM
Used them this year and love them. Much better than the ones you squeeze on.