PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Cornell?

Michael Greer
03-09-2014, 06:58 PM
I notice that the latest postings from Cornell date to 2011. Do they still have a maple program? Have they forgotten about Mapletrader?

Thompson's Tree Farm
03-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Cornell Maple program is alive and working hard. They had a couple of presenters at the Gouverneur Maple Expo in January. As with all Extension related programs, funding is always a problem.

happy thoughts
03-09-2014, 07:20 PM
Don't know why they haven't posted. I still get email notices for programs there. Web site is here: http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/

Joust7.1
03-12-2014, 07:43 AM
I just saw on the Channel 7 News that the Sugar House at the Cornell Cooperative Ext. was destroyed by fire. Hopefully, it wasn't a total loss. The news reported that there was a malfunction on the oil burner and that the evaporator was destroyed. Best wishes to the crew there and hopefully no one was injured.

DaveB
03-12-2014, 11:50 AM
I just saw on the Channel 7 News that the Sugar House at the Cornell Cooperative Ext. was destroyed by fire. Hopefully, it wasn't a total loss. The news reported that there was a malfunction on the oil burner and that the evaporator was destroyed. Best wishes to the crew there and hopefully no one was injured.

That's terrible. Wrong time of year for that to happen! I hope no one was injured.

BTW, which Ch. 7 was that? I was trying to find information online and I couldn't find any.

DrTimPerkins
03-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Looks like it was the Canton Cooperative Extension farm. An oil fire in the evaporator, which was destroyed, but the building was not lost.

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Cooperative-Extension-Sugar-House-Damaged-By-Fire-249714521.html

Thompson's Tree Farm
03-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Everyone is safe! The building is fine and it appears the pans are ok. The Arch may be salvageable. The fire department broke out all the brick as there was fuel oil soaking them all and a slow fire burning around them. Currently assessing the damage and deciding if they can fix for this season or if they will sell sap.

maple flats
03-12-2014, 06:16 PM
It's always interesting how the "News" reports things. The headline says the Sugar House was damaged by fire. Then in the body it says the Sugar House had no damage, but the evaporator was destroyed.
I hope another can be set up or alternate plans can be utilized for the sap they'll have.

rayi
03-12-2014, 10:05 PM
I bet if I was one of the big evaporator companies I would have my biggest and best evaporator on a helicopter so fast it would make the rotors of the chopper look slow. Big sign on it donated by .... and a big write up every where I could get it

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-13-2014, 05:55 AM
I bet if I was one of the big evaporator companies I would have my biggest and best evaporator on a helicopter so fast it would make the rotors of the chopper look slow. Big sign on it donated by .... and a big write up every where I could get it
maybe Leader will to cover all their bad taps:lol:

twobears1224
03-13-2014, 12:09 PM
that sugarhouse isn,t to far from me and I,ve been seeing the report on the tv news and in the local newspaper..i,am glad nobody got hurt..after seeing the pics I,am very surprised that nobody did get hurt and the sugarhouse didn,t burn down.i hope that get everything back up and run asap and have a great season anyhow.

SWEETER CREATIONS
03-13-2014, 12:21 PM
I just returned from Cornell cooperative extension ,it seams like its a waiting game now with the insurance company. I've been on the phone with Leader already trying to get figures to replace the arch. The best part NO one was hurt . Charlie used 3 fire extinguishers to keep the fuel at bay until the local fire department arrived. It won't be long and I think they will be up and running again ! As earlier stated its a terrible thing to happen , but quick thinking and a fast response time saved this operation . Our hats are off to all of you that helped!!!!!!! Mike

markct
03-13-2014, 03:16 PM
Im very curious as to what actualy happened, I wouldn't picture a fire in an arch getting out of the arch, I mean even soaked in oil etc seems like it would burn wildly in there maybe make it boil like crazy and all but seems as long as kept the pans full it wouldn't get out of control would it? I am just trying to picture how a fire could destroy the arch, which is of course made to be filled with fire? not saying it didn't happen just curious how why and what so hopefully the rest of us can prevent this from happening to us!

BreezyHill
03-16-2014, 09:12 AM
To much oil can cause any containment structure to fail.

If the bricks were soaked in oil the burner must have failed and when she got going it was hard to contain.

Just limit the air supply and all should have been ok...just a black cloud out the stack for a while; as long as the pans can be kept filled enough.

A good lesson for all of us...

How many Fire extingushers are in your sap house and is there a emergency plan in place???

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-16-2014, 09:30 AM
To much oil can cause any containment structure to fail.

If the bricks were soaked in oil the burner must have failed and when she got going it was hard to contain.

Just limit the air supply and all should have been ok...just a black cloud out the stack for a while; as long as the pans can be kept filled enough.

A good lesson for all of us...

How many Fire extingushers are in your sap house and is there a emergency plan in place???

I always have plenty of beer on hand to extinguish hoy spots

super sappy
03-16-2014, 02:36 PM
This method is flawed because alot of damage can happen in the time it takes to drink the beer and then waiting for the stream to develope.