PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone tried?

Pete33Vt
12-22-2006, 03:14 AM
I was watching a show on candy production last night, and got to thinking has anyone tried to make maple taffy? what about maple licorice?

I was just wondering. I might try fooling round with it this winter? You never know. Might become the new (hershey kiss) !!!!

Any ideas??

Pete

Sugarmaker
12-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Pete33..
Saw the show also. Awesome amounts of candy that we consume. A lot of similar copper kettle batches of about 50-75 gallons of boiling candy. Neat show.
maple Licorice???? :? Let me know how that comes out. I wouldn't ruin good licorice that way. :D
Chris

Pete33Vt
12-23-2006, 03:45 AM
Chris, there is no way I'd ruin good licorice. I love the stuff especically the old fashion black. I am just thinking of trying to use some maple to flavor it. It might come out ok. Or it might go right out the back door.
I'll let you know.
Pete

P.S. Perfect name change!!

Sugarmaker
12-23-2006, 04:39 PM
Pete33VT,
Thanks on the name change!
I love good soft black licorice but cant eat the red stuff, I ate too much when I was about 10 and haven't touched it since. Maple flavored licorice would sell. Let me know.

Regards,
Chris

Russ008
01-03-2007, 05:34 PM
last time I tried to make maple cream it came out as maple taffy. I should have twisted a few pieces off and wrapped them up. Instead I boiled it down in my next batch of syrup. It really stuck to your gums ! I wouldn't know how to do it again, PS I also ruined the egg beater !

Pete33Vt
01-04-2007, 03:40 AM
I won't let the wife know it almost ruined the egg beater. I am hoping to try some taffy soon. I really like regular taffy and I love maple so why not combine them.

I'll let you know how it comes out.
Pete

super sappy
01-04-2007, 06:40 AM
From the March 1915 Dept of Ag BULLETIN- Maple Taffy Place together in a kettle, 2 lbs. maple sugar, 1 pound brown sugar, 1/2 pound glucose and 1 pint of water.Stir until mixture is disolved. Boil until the taffy will snap when tested when tested in cold water, then pour it upon a buttered dish or slab to cool. The candy may be checked off in squares, or if preferred, it may be pulled until white. :) Super sappy

Pete33Vt
01-05-2007, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the info, I am going to give it a try. *** soon as I have a spare minute or two.

Pete