PDA

View Full Version : Bosworth guzzler?

PACMAN
03-09-2014, 03:35 PM
I know there may be a thread somewhere on here, but I cant find it. I would like to know if anyone has used a Bosworth guzzler model #GE0501N? Im looking to get one and am hooking it to 1000 ft of 1 inch mainline with 5/16 laturals. There are a total of 480 taps total. I would like to know How much more sap could be retrieved with the guzzler vs. just gravity,providing the system is tight.Thanks in advance for any input.

markct
03-09-2014, 03:59 PM
I dont think you will get enough cfm with that pump, when they demonstrated the goodrich diaphram pump at the maple meeting you could tell the cfm was realy minor as just a pinhole lost many inches

PACMAN
03-09-2014, 04:43 PM
markct,Thats not the same pump.I remember someone saying they got good vac out of the guzzler.

VT_K9
03-09-2014, 04:50 PM
I am going to update my other thread, but thought my findings would be relevant here as well. Last year we installed a diaphragm pump from Goodrich Maple (Sap puller 100E). I believe it made a difference once we sealed up few leaks (taps and chews in the line).

Since last year we upgraded the primary mainline from 3/4" to 1' and made it 600 feet long (longer than than last year). We also upgraded all 1/2" mainline to 3/4" for a total of 1400-1500 feet. We re-ran our lateral sap lines in an effort to achieve the strive for 5 but no more than 7 tap concept (did pretty good with a couple 8 or 9 tap runs and several 2-3). We added several new trees and I will have to get the tap total this week. I would guess (and hope) we are just over 300 taps.

Yesterday was the first day with the sap puller this year. Started at 0" of vacuum. 1 hour later still had 0". Tightened all clamps on the mainline. Found 2 taps completely broken. Replaced several very old (many years) taps which appeared to be leaking around the hole (wetness present). Will be replacing more as I have time. I was able to get 15" until after dark last night. This morning it rose to 15" and then by mid afternoon it was up to 20". I found the measurements to be near the same at the puller and after 300' of 1" and 400" of 3/4" (which is our highest point in the system and only other gauge).

In my original post I was concerned about the amount of vacuum. I was told by many here to make sure my joints were tight. I think I have done well so far. Mother Nature needs to let the sap flow a little more now.

Mike

christopherh
03-09-2014, 05:13 PM
I have a 501N on 200 taps maybe 800 feet of mainline, I m really happy with it. I was warned it doesn't like ice, but I make sure my lines are thawed.

trevorhallam
03-09-2014, 06:30 PM
I have one of them and I was wondering how I could Could put a vacuum gauge on my pump can find the right fitting for it wondering if anyone knows a fitting that will go to my ¾ mainline

PARKER MAPLE
03-09-2014, 07:03 PM
can you run these pumps continually with no sap going threw?? DRY ??

lakeview maple
03-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Parker I have the same pump and had great luck with it last year and yes they can run dry, and no they don't like ice. I put quick connects on either side of the pump and when it was going to freeze I just unhooked it and replaced it with plain pipe with a quick connect. Trevor ,go to any hardware supply or plumbing supply and get a t fitting that has what ever you have for mainline and you will need a reducer to install the vacuum gauge in the top of the T .Hope it helps ,Al

Tom_saw
03-09-2014, 09:26 PM
I have the CDL diaphragm pump on 40 taps with about 600 ' of 1" line . It usually pulls about 22" of vac . It was pulling 25 for awhile . I'm getting at least 2 , maybe 3 times the sap off of the same trees from last year . I made an ice trap out of 4" PVC and a stainless steel wire strainer for the ice catcher .

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-09-2014, 09:40 PM
I have the CDL diaphragm pump on 40 taps with about 600 ' of 1" line . It usually pulls about 22" of vac . It was pulling 25 for awhile . I'm getting at least 2 , maybe 3 times the sap off of the same trees from last year . I made an ice trap out of 4" PVC and a stainless steel wire strainer for the ice catcher .
hey tom can you take a picture and post it of your ice catcher.
\
today we had 25/26" at pump after 500+ ft we had 16. total mainline on pump all 1" and 3/4 I would have to say 1500 to 2000'. Last year we had 17 to 20 the same vac gauge, still working on tightening up lines. Need more sap in them to get the "

PACMAN
03-09-2014, 09:43 PM
Tomsaw,I think the cdl version is made by bosworth.Im going to order mine tomorrow.I should have it next week.Im also going touse quick conects and a section of pipe with same,so I dont have to leave it out in the cold.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Tomsaw,I think the cdl version is made by bosworth.Im going to order mine tomorrow.I should have it next week.Im also going touse quick conects and a section of pipe with same,so I dont have to leave it out in the cold.
the maple guys unit is a lot less expensive

all the manufacturers units are made by bosworth looks like it to me..

PACMAN
03-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Hello flat lander,What pump do you have?

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-09-2014, 09:49 PM
ohh boy I almost took a picture of it today, I will tomorrow, we bought ours right from bosworth a couple years ago. One has a faster rpm than the other and that one gets a lot higher vac. We had to modify the clevice point the one from bosworth doesnt last. Yamaha snow mobile steering linkage works. we had a guy in town fit it up going to do the other one this year.

PACMAN
03-09-2014, 09:51 PM
Im ordering direct from bossworth.Just a hair under 600 bucks delivered to my door. I dont think thats bad.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-09-2014, 09:56 PM
you will need to modify the clevice, it will rip right out of the aluminum block after a while, need to put a heavier duty one in. I would hit up the maple guys and see if they modify theirs, if they do for 570 dollars or so will save you some hassle.

PACMAN
03-09-2014, 10:05 PM
I am going to call both tomorrow. There should be some kind of warenty with the pump.You would think that if people were having problems they would fix it.How hard is it to redo the clevice?

Tom_saw
03-10-2014, 05:00 AM
the maple guys unit is a lot less expensive

all the manufacturers units are made by bosworth looks like it to me..

Yes ,it's a Bosworth . It looks like CDL installs an aluminum base on it for the extra $500 i paid .I found this out the day after I bought it .

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-10-2014, 05:43 AM
Yes ,it's a Bosworth . It looks like CDL installs an aluminum base on it for the extra $500 i paid .I found this out the day after I bought it .
they install those bases and housing around the rotating assembly so they cant be sued by some yahoo that get wound up in one because they aren't smart enough to shut it off before working around it. The key thing is to look for modification on the clevice, its very frustrating when you leave in the morning thinking things are al right to come back later find your generator running and the diaphragm just sitting there

Tom_saw
03-10-2014, 06:20 AM
The aluminum base that was on it had very sharp edges on it . The first thing I did was take it apart and smooth all of the sharp edges .90949095 In the pictures is my pump and ice trap . First is the check valve , vac gauge ,ice trap and then the threaded quick disconnect.-The ice trap is made out of 4" pvc .there is a short piece of pipe inside the hubs to hold it all together with an 1/8" space between them and then I silconed it together so I could get it apart . Inside it is a stainless steel wire mesh spoon with the handle cut off. I got the spoon from the grocery store . The holes were no bigger than 1/8" - 3/16". The disconnect works good . It has an oring in it and tightens and loosens easily .