PDA

View Full Version : Questions bricking my new Patriot 2x6 arch

Jmsmithy
03-09-2014, 03:10 PM
Howdy folks

Just picked up the arch. My distributors gave me some great info/diagrams etc but still many questions...big one/assumption is there is a fair amount of cutting the firebrick to "fit" in the tighter/odd shaped spaces...?

Also, do I want to brick floor of firebox first, then start my brick up the sides OR do first row around sides THEN run the floor bricking snuck to the side bricks??

ANY AND ALL pix would be appreciated!!! :mad:

Holy Moly...thank God it's still freezing here!!!!:o

lpakiz
03-09-2014, 05:55 PM
90839082I would suggest that you dry-fit the whole project, allowing just a little space for mortar. Then take a few pics, spray a few swirls with a spray paint can, so you can put the puzzle back together the same way.
I used the pre-mixed mortar. It dries fairly fast, especially on the trowel and side of the can, so the faster you can re-assemble the bricks, the better. Someone here suggested dampening or dipping the bricks in water before assembling. If I did it again, I would seriously consider doing that.

BAP
03-10-2014, 06:07 AM
Some of the mortar's directions say you should dampen the bricks first.

johnallin
03-10-2014, 09:10 AM
I have the same arch. From what I recall, the directions were pretty spot on. I think you can line the floor without cutting any brick, try it with and without side brick in place. Wetting the brick does help mortar stick and prevents the brick from absorbing water from the mortar. I rented a saw from one of the big box stores to cut my brick - it was worth it. Good luck.