PDA

View Full Version : Dark sap (coffee) ??

Para45
03-09-2014, 07:30 AM
I have one tap the sap looks like coffee. Did I hit a bad spot in the tree and is it any good to keep? I know this is coming from the tree there is some up in the tube right at the T. If I remember correctly this is the tree we drilled into a hollow spot about 10 inches around the other side.
Thanks, John

Wanabe1972
03-09-2014, 07:53 AM
I had this happen a while back and found the tree was split higher up in a croch and it had no sugar content. It maybe water and decaying wood. I tapped when it was frozen so it all looked good but when I pulled the tap the hole ran full stream for 30 minutes. I used the tree for firewood. You could tap another spot or just pull the tap and skip this tree.

Michael Greer
03-09-2014, 09:00 AM
Yes, you drilled into the rotten wood. You may be able to drill into another spot and hit live wood,(the wood chips will be nice and bright) and draw some sap. Maybe put sixteen more taps into this tree and cut it for firewood at the end of the season.

Vermonner
03-10-2014, 11:42 AM
x2 on rotten wood

Para45
03-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Many thanks I moved the taps up to another tree. The trees I have access to are older and they had fenceing though some of them. They are not in great shape but easy to get to and collect. Thanks again, John