PDA

View Full Version : Forced draft CFM oil tank arch

bucketboiler
03-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Hi guys,

Im running an oil tank arch with a 2x3' flat pan and 8" stack. this is a borrowed unit and I haven't run it yet. the owner sent it with a 50cfm blower. he said it was probably undersized and that he always left the draft door open when he was boiling. seems to me that would defeat the purpose?

So how many cfms are you guys running on oil tank arches? just trying to figure out if im in the ball park.

Many thanks

waterfowlah
03-10-2014, 01:09 PM
The 3" bilge blower I just installed is around 165cfm, works great on My 55 gallon drum set up, might be small for yours. FYI 4" bilge blower is like 240cfm.

Ausable
03-10-2014, 07:32 PM
On a true forced draft setup - The Arch - to my understanding -would be under pressure and any opening other then the stack - would fill the sugar shack with smoke. If it is a pee wee blower it might supply air to support combustion - but - still might need a little help from natural draft. You are right in Your understanding on how it would normally work. Hey! Experiment and have some fun with it. I have an arch made from an old 250 gallon F.O. tank and with natural draft get a rip roaring fire going........Especially when I burn Ash slab wood.

harrison6jd
03-10-2014, 07:37 PM
i have a homemade 30"x48" arch and installed a 6" inline duct fan from lowes. definately not enough. ended up switching it out for a 10" 3 speed floor fan we use to move the air condition air throughout the house. much better.