PDA

View Full Version : pumping sap out of woods ?

maplefarmer
03-08-2014, 05:55 PM
I have a woods that is 1200' off a side road thru a farmed field, after plowing my way thru the snow back there last week, I am beginning to think I am not going to be driving my tractor pulling a 1000 gal nurse tank full of sap out of the field. My question is if I were to set my tank out on the road and pump sap the 1200' with a transfer pump, how do I get the line empty so sap will not sit in the hose during any sunny days and spoil in between runs, think the hose would hold approx. 165 gal, too much to throw away and to much water needed to carry back there and pump hose dry, any ideas?

lpakiz
03-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Are you lucky enough to have slope--going the right way? A pump-out line, suspended from HT wire, just like main line.
No sags, it will drain.

Vermonner
03-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Pump it to a height and have it gravity feed to the road. When the pump shuts off, it will gravity feed the sap remaining in the line back to the tank. Closer to the tank you can put the head to gain gravity feed to the road, the less sap flows back to the tank. Need to know slope conditions, etc. to really offer anything meaningful beyond that.