PDA

View Full Version : How straight do laterals need to be?

Fireman
03-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Now I am getting confused. I understand the tubing concept of straight and tight gets the best flow. I just read on a USDA paper where they would curve around trees with the laterals. On paper, the layout looked like a small tree laying flat on the ground. Is this OK to do? My original plan: when the main line is put up, run a lateral out to the furthest tappable tree. I am not sure, but this may now be called a conduit line, even though it is still 5/16. And then any other trees, say 10 or 20 foot away from this lateral (conduit), bring in another 5/16 line and T into the original lateral (conduit), to keep things straight as possible. But if I can just snake my 5/16 through the bush with gentle curves around trees (no more than a 90 degree turn on large trees) and pass by my maples, I think this would save on tubing. If I do a run with this 5/16 lateral (conduit), what is the max taps I can put into this line? Thanks for everyone's help. I enjoy reading about everyone else's set ups.

wiam
03-08-2014, 02:15 PM
Your 5/16 lines should "snake" past each tree. Only t should be on the end of the drop line.

lpakiz
03-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Yep, run your 5/16 lateral from the mainline to the farthest tree, weaving between trees to support the lateral. Each lateral "run" will be a single continuous path, contacting 1 to 5 maple trees on that lateral run, from mainline to end tree. You may use non-maples for support also. On rare occasions, I have tee'd an extra tree into a lateral, but this is generally discouraged.
Attach lateral to farthest tree, then holding lateral tight, return to the mainline, holding the lateral at the right height. When you get back to the mainline, pull the lateral snug while you pull the mainline toward the lateral. Mentally mark where to cut the lateral. Cut lateral, attach hook connector and hook to main line wire. I cut all my drops in later, in a separate operation.
Helps to have your maples marked so you can see them at a glance, to decide which trees will fit with which lateral. If you want vacuum, no more than 5 taps per lateral (generally, but there my be exceptions). Laterals should be no longer than 100 feet (generally, but there may be exceptions.

PerryW
03-08-2014, 09:57 PM
I also think it's better to avoid lots of tee's or y's in the laterals, even though it violates the principle of straight runs because you have to zig-zag more. But I also think, If you are NOT using vacuum, you don't have to worry as much and either way you do it will work. I put 25-30 taps in a lateral with gravity tubing. Even during the best sap runs; if I loosen any tap, you can hear the natural vacuum sucking sound. If the line was overloaded, a vacuum would not be produced.

Fireman
03-09-2014, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the advice. The more I thought about it through the day, snaking the lateral will prevent the use of so many tee's. I wonder which is worst, the curves from snaking or the tee's in the line where you are disrupting the flow more often. From what I read from PerryW and other posts, the tee's can cause vacuum leaks and disrupt flow pretty good.

Yellzee
03-09-2014, 07:53 AM
I havent read the research but I have never heard of anyone worrying about losing flow because the tubing curves around trees. Think we pretty much all run it this way. If you tried to do one long run between far apart trees you wouldn't be able to get it tight enough to avoid sagging. I am on gravity and have a couple really long lateral runs with about 30 taps on them. Some on here might panic if they sAw it. I just feel the extra 60 bucks in tubing isn't worth it in my gravity situation.

Homestead Maple
03-09-2014, 07:44 PM
I have never seen any research on 5/16ths. tubing flow, that I can remember. I've always heard "straight, tight and down hill" but straight? That's another question. If we were looking for sap velocity in tubing I could see it but most flow is at a trickle and when you have just 5 -6 taps on a lateral I would think a few bends around some trees wouldn't matter much. Maybe some one else has seen research on 5/16ths. tubing (not mainline) flow? They use 3/16ths. tubing for natural vacuum and how much restriction is there in a tubing diameter of that size?

oneoldsap
03-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Tees are not good , they will restrict more sap flow than a few bends . Just make them as straight as you can , that's all there is to it .